• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Peru Apisto Order...NO GOOD!

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
The order came in Thursday last week...I'm currently at about 80% loss and climbing. Other who got Apistos off the same import (but not from me) are having the same issues.

This is my second order (in a row) of Peru Apistos that has just crashed. From 2 different exporters.

Needless to say after blowing several grand I'm done with Peru for a while!

Jeff

Tom C

5 Year Member
I'm sorry to hear about your losses!

Any chance you could tell us (or me in a PM) which companies you got the fish from?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hmm, major losses from 2 different exporters. If deaths are in different families of fish, I doubt that it is a disease problem. I doubt that it is water, since each exporter has its own water source. The only factor that both exporters would have in common would the shipper. I wonder if the airlines are not taking the same care of the shipments as they did in the past. I hope this gets taken care of soon. Several thousand dollars is a lot of money to lose!

OK, how do we replace Peruvian fish with Brazilian fish??

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
The last order from a new to me supplier had much smaller fish (but I'm guessing that has more to do with the time of the year) but the fish were all pretty thin on the whole. Combine smaller thinner fish with cooler over all temps (especially on the plains) and it's NOT a good mix!

Good luck on that Brazil pipe dream!

Graham

5 Year Member
I purchased 6 Inkas and 7 shushupe from the same shipment (I assume).
After 5 days, I have one of each fish left. Worst experience in my 20 years of keeping fish.

The Inkas were pretty much gone within 48 hours. The shushupe looked fine, really healthy in fact. Then one by one, they would start hovering toward the top of the tank, breathing heavy (not gasping at the surface though) and they'd be dead a few hours later. No real signs of disease while they were alive, but once dead, the scales seemed to slough off in a way I've never seen before.

I'm not out thousands, but this was a horrible experience just watching them die-off for no apparent reason after seeming perfectly healthy.

And to think how excited I was... :frown:

Oh, I put mine in tanks that had neon tetras in them. The neons had been in the tanks for at least a month and were doing just fine. I've lost 3 of them since putting the Apistos in. Same deal, start hovering at the top, then just die. I think there's some kind of bug at work, for sure.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I purchased 6 Inkas and 7 shushupe from the same shipment (I assume).

Same order that Mike F. in your area just got fish from? If so it's the same import. A number of DOA's in the bags and more EVERY time I walk by the tanks. It's enough to drive a person out of the fish room for a while!

Graham

5 Year Member
Yep, same shipment.

I can't understand it. The shushupe appeared really healthy. All were eating and going about their normal territory establishments...and then one at a time, kaput. If the neons hadn't also started dropping, I would not have suspected "extraneous" circumstances. I'm just getting back into Apisto breeding and figured maybe I lost my touch.

That's not it though. These were bad fish.

Now I have the task of trying to find an Inka partner for mine - assuming it makes it. Sigh.... I'm going to get a few more shushupe, since the person who received them still has some left and says they're fine.

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
That's horrible! Hopefully you can figure out the problems. Certainly don't want to see Peru fish not coming to America!

ste12000

5 Year Member
Hi guys, sorry to hear of your misfortunes, ive got Apistos coming in from Peru tomorrow night so this thread makes me quite nervous at what to expect!!

In my experience large scale losses are usually down to ammonia poisoning in the bags, the DOA's seen to indicate that the fish didnt travel very well and those that were left alive were poisoned by the ammonia and gradually dropped over the next few days..

Was it only the Apistos that suffered Jeff or were other fish involved??

Graham

5 Year Member
In my experience large scale losses are usually down to ammonia poisoning in the bags, the DOA's seen to indicate that the fish didnt travel very well and those that were left alive were poisoned by the ammonia and gradually dropped over the next few days..

Anything's possible - but the shushupe I got showed no typical signs of ammonia burn at all. The Inka did have some irritated spots on the flesh.

But there's the whole other factor that the other fsh in my tank were fine until the Apistos moved in.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hi guys, sorry to hear of your misfortunes, ive got Apistos coming in from Peru tomorrow night so this thread makes me quite nervous at what to expect!!

Was it only the Apistos that suffered Jeff or were other fish involved??

I only brought in Apistos at my end. I'm pretty sure the other guy brought in tetras, cats, and the like. I'll see what I can find out.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
That's horrible! Hopefully you can figure out the problems. Certainly don't want to see Peru fish not coming to America!

I agree. But someone else has to foot the bill for a while...I've had a break even and then 2 straight large losses in terms of money on my last 3 Peru orders. Hard to keep brining in fish when you can't even salvage breeders for yourself!

The second order (the first all Apisto loss) came in looking great! I have some O.K. pics of some stunning fish in full color with great fins acting like happy healthy fish. The disaster didn't start to appear until after 36 hours or so...right about the time I would normally start to run a few drugs through the fish to clean them out-never got that far though as I figured treating fish that are dropping off in volume doesn't do a whole lot of good.

The-Influence

This is rather odd ! Reason being is I live in Canada and the guy I get my apisto's from has done a few Peru orders in the past few months and he as well has a huge die off in the first week . Now I don't know if it's even the same vendor but still odd. He assumed the fish just did not acclimatize well .

Blake

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….