• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pelivicachromis coloring

GoDSMiLe

5 Year Member
*sigh* I wrote left but meant right. I used that technique to sex the kribs when I went to pick them out at the LFS, my mind just took a break. Alright, if thats the main difference, than I definately have P. sacrimontis, as they definately show blue irridescent coloration 24/7. I'm resigned to believe that the other "male" still hasnt settled, and will slowly develop some type of barring when it has. From what I have read on P. sacrimontis it can attain a length of 6", which would mean that my "male" is probably a female based on finnage and not size and coloring. My original idea that its fins were damaged probably isn't the case due to the new information, as neither fish is full grown, when I thought both were.

I am still interested in the book, but until I find the price, I cannot guarentee I'll buy it. Hopefully, by the time it comes out, I'll have some money from my new summer job. Thanks for all of your help in identifying my fish.

Mike

GoDSMiLe

5 Year Member
Update:

My fish have settled in and finally colored up, and everyone was indeed right that my fish are P. sacrimontis. Thank you all very much. The larger is typically lighter, but will darken when food is present, or it decides that the Synodontis nigriventris sharing his tank are too close to his territory.

Now, I know I got good advice before on sexing my fish, but I'm still confused. The best way to sex kribs, as I have been advised, is whether the dorsal fin is pointed or rounded. Both my fish have the rounded dorsal fins typical in females.

My problem is that the larger female shows irridescent streaking in its pelvic fins, typical of a male, and has the entire time I've had it in the tank. The other female, has the typical red pelvic fins of a female P. sacrimontis. The larger female also shows much less red in the belly, and except for the rounded dorsal fin, seems very much a male. Has the dorsal fin rule led people astray before?

I only dredge up this old topic because my two females now seem rather close, while for the previous two weeks or so the larger was driving the smaller up behind the heater regularly. I have not seen any breeding display, but they will follow each other around the tank. Until recently, I had decided to go back to my LFS and pick up a male and remove the unpaired female, but now I'm not sure. I'd rather not add a male if its going to be dropped into an already paired tank (and possibly be killed).

Thanks for all your time and effort in helping me with my Pelvicachromis problems so far.

Mike

Randall

5 Year Member
Sexing Pelvicachromis Species

GoDSMiLe said:
Now, I know I got good advice before on sexing my fish, but I'm still confused. The best way to sex kribs, as I have been advised, is whether the dorsal fin is pointed or rounded. Both my fish have the rounded dorsal fins typical in females.

Hello Mike,

Young males may possess rounded dorsal fins. The best way to sex all Pelvicachromis species is to look at the pelvic fins. Please refer to my post above and/or the July 2004 issue of "TFH."

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

GoDSMiLe

5 Year Member
Thanks Randall, I wish I read more thoroughly before instead of reading what I wanted to read.

Mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….