• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pairing different locals and color varieties

TCMontium

5 Year Member
Hello everyone,

I should begin with an apology in case this subject was already discussed on these forums. I couldn't find much information about this subject (maybe that's because I didn't know the correct words to search for).

My question is: What happens to the genetics and/or the morphology/coloration of the offsprings when you pair two different locals or different color variants of an Apistogramma species. For example when you pair an opal borelli male with a yellow head borelli female. Or a red agassizii male with a tefe agassizii female. Or a wild form hongsloi male with a super red hongsloi female. Etc.

Last edited:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Same as you'd get crossing any apisto color forms - a merry mix of colors. This is how most domestic color strain start. Crossing A. agassizii with A. agassizii (Tefé) is not problem, but crossing A. agassizii with A. sp. Tefé - a different species - has resulted in low viability of the eggs, weak fry, and deformed adults that are not very fertile.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
h1ns

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….