• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Otos Vs. Cherry shrimp

Dose anyone have prefer Oto cats over cherry shrimp or visa-versa.
i need some algae controll since clown plecos SUCK at eating algae. I have been thinking about getting one of the Cherry shrimp or Oto cats) and can't decide.

also If i do get the cherries I need to know if my cacatuoides will keep the population in check

thanks

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Apistos will definitely eat the baby shrimp, and may harass the adults to the point of death. Otos would be my choice.

tompoz

The only shrimps that would help with algae are Amano but Apistos would make their lives miserable and short. Go for Otos or Loricaria red.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
also If i do get the cherries I need to know if my cacatuoides will keep the population in check
They certainly will, I use Red cherries as a supplementary feed now, and the fish love them. Otocinclus are fine with Apistogramma, but you need to feed them supplementary vegetables and remember that they are a very sensitive fish, they only do well in planted tanks and need very high quality water.

cheers Darrel

cheers Darrel

CopabX

I have a stock of around 20 shrimp I keep on the side so they can breed and when there are too many I throw them in the tank so they clean and are a treat to my apistos and tetras when they catch them.

Ernie

if not breeding you can use bristlenose pleco's around the apisto's, I keep ottos and bristle nose in my tanks, remeber the female is the algae eater not the male

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
if not breeding you can use bristlenose pleco's around the apisto's, I keep ottos and bristle nose in my tanks, remeber the female is the algae eater not the male
Both sexes eat algae but less so once fully grown.
I have been able to keep Cherry Shrimp colonies going in planted breeding tanks which have few Apistogramma and believe it or not, even with Dwarf Pike Cichlids like Cr. wallacei and Cr. notothalmus..

henkh

5 Year Member
I almost all my tanks i have cherry shrimp. Of course they eat young shrimp, but the only dwarfs hunting grown up shrimp are my F1 ramirezi;s. None of my apisto's and even not my wild caught rami's hunt grown up shrimp. At least, i never saw it. I consider young shrimp as good life food.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
My Dicrossus maculatus male will kill adult RCS for sports, he single handedly wipe out the entire RCS population in the tank within two weeks. Interesting enough, female D. maculatus will tolerate Otocinclus cocama around the fry but will attack the baby bristlenose pleco viciously.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….