• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

NewB setting up a 125 gallon S.A. tank

A

angelover98

Greetings Dwarf Lovers:
I just recently sold my Tangs, and Malawis, broke down the tank and want to turn it in to a beautiful S.A. tank that feature dwarfs. The tanks dimensions are: 72x18x20 tall. Holds 125 U.S. Gallons.
I have 2 Eheims, at least 1 WPG lighting. Water from my tap is 6.9ph and low kh/dh.
I have three really nice pieces of driftwood/ stumps. I want to have some, but not a lot of real plants. I will use sand and probably flourite etc.Some rocks.
Fish list to include 2 or 3 diffrent shoals of small tetras, shoal of cories, ottos, SAE. Hatchet fish. The centerpiece of this tank is to be dwarfs.
I love rams, and the apistos.
Can you give me some suggestions as to this stocking list?
A lot of 1 specie for a harem? or multiple species, rams, and apistos?
Give me your thoughts for a "peaceful" tank. I have lots of nice rocks left from my Africans tank, so I can build fortifications for the little guys if need be.
Thanks so much for allowing me to join and your help.

apistoireland

5 Year Member
Make sure your rocks you used to have in your rift valley set up don't increase the hardness. Anything like coral rocks, limestone, etc. is a definite none starter.
Rams are monogomous so are better kept in pairs, However you should start with at least six fish so they can pair up naturally.
As for the apistos, what species are available in your area? Easy starter fish are A. cacatoides, borelli, agazzisi and several others. Have a look out for these. Apistos are generally, with some excpetions like A. nijsseni, better kept in a harem.

Peter Lovett1

5 Year Member
A tank containing Apistos is never peacefully, which is part of the fun of keeping them.

When it comes to stocking of you tank which is a very good size for dwarfs. You have a choice between a single specie or 3 to 4 different ones.

If you go for the specie tank you should try to get small fish and let them grow to together I would suggest 4 to 5 males to 8 to 10 females. This would give males about 2' sq each and the females about a foot. However you will probably find that you will get 2 dominant fish and 2 subordinate males. This works very well and will show you the full range of behavior. If keep members of the pevas complex you will find that they will live and breed at quite high densities. I have not know any other specie be so good at raising fry in my 4' stock tanks which hold 40 fish max.

If you go for a multi specie tank you can have the same number of males and females as a specie tank. But it is best to have fish from diffrent complexes or at least fish that look very diffrent from each other.

hope this helps

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….