• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New tank.. what dwarf cichlids would be best?

Jake

Hi all, I've read loads of the posts already and followed some useful links - (thanks!) - but thought I'd post a new thread with my specifics. I have a 125 litre (27 US gallon) tank with sand substrate, lots of drift wood and relatively heavily planted (mostly vallis and amazon sword / dwarf sword, as well as some HC 'cuba' I'm hoping will carpet a corner). If this fails I will put leaves in instead. pH is 6.5 (maintained using Waterlife 6.5 Buffer and 'peat balls' I bought on eBay). Temp is currently at 27 degrees c (about 80 degrees f). I have a Fluval U3 internal filter and currently a second, smaller U2 filter from an empty tank in there as well.
I set the tank up about a month ago and have just put the 1st fish in - an otto and 2 bristlenose plecs to tackle some algae that was starting to grow, and a group of 6 black widow tetras, who are temporary residents in order to age the tank for a few weeks.

I was wanting to stock it with a school of cardinal tetras, some blue rams (both of which I have kept before) and get some apistogrammas for the 1st time. I was thinking something like a. baenschi, a.borelli, a, bitaeniata, etc.
I would love some advice on numbers / types that you would suggest for a newbi to apistos.
Also, would it be safe to put some small angels & flag cichlids (mesonauta insignus) in as well?
I do not aim to breed any of the fish in the tank, just to have a lovely centre piece for my lounge room (which has enough 'pretty' fish to keep the wife happy!)
Thanks in advance!

Jake

Hopefully I have managed to upload a photo of the tank in its infancy...

Attachments

• Tank in infancy.JPG
    Tank in infancy.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 2,807

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This is a relatively small aquarium for multiple species of cichlids. The decor in the photo does not really set up distinct territorial boundaries which cichlids use to separate themselves. Without boundaries, territorial fights are continuous. I usually recommend that each cichlid have at least 1 sq. ft./30 sq. cm of bottom area. This is rather conservative. It really depends on how the aquarium is decorated.

Jake

Thanks Mike. Maybe back to the drawing board then.... Would one pair of Apistos happily share the tank with some rams and angels, or is this a recipe for disaster? If only one species is likely to be successful, would you recommend any specific species or are they all similar in temperament / care? Thanks again!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The number of cichlids really depends on how the aquarium is laid out and broken into territories. 2 Rams and 2-3 apistos will be ok in a tank your size, if properly decorated, but a 125 l tank is a bit small for adult angelfish (other than being used a breeding tank with only 1 pair). As for temperament, each species (and each individual) is a bit different. Some are more aggressive than others. I suggest you decide on a number of species that interest you. Then research their needs and behavior.

Danny Barker

Hi i currently have in my tank apisto cacatuoides and double orange alongside 4 german blue rams and two angle fish and they all get on fine planning to and some apsito steel blue shortly.

Duxall Inarow

This is a relatively small aquarium for multiple species of cichlids. The decor in the photo does not really set up distinct territorial boundaries which cichlids use to separate themselves. Without boundaries, territorial fights are continuous. I usually recommend that each cichlid have at least 1 sq. ft./30 sq. cm of bottom area. This is rather conservative. It really depends on how the aquarium is decorated.

Clarification, please. "1 sq. foot" is a space only 3" x 4" (12 sq. inches) in dimension. Did you mean 1 foot square (12" x 12")?

regani

5 Year Member
as far as I know 1 foot square and one square foot are the same thing: 1' x 1' or 12'' x 12'' or 144 square inches?
but then I grew up with metric, those strange units you guys use never made much sense to me :D

Duxall Inarow

as far as I know 1 foot square and one square foot are the same thing: 1' x 1' or 12'' x 12'' or 144 square inches?
but then I grew up with metric, those strange units you guys use never made much sense to me :D

One square FOOT is anything that totals 12 square inches (3" x 4", 2" x 6", 1" x 12", and so on). One foot SQUARE is 1 foot by 1 foot, or 144 square inches. I'm a math teacher, FWIW. ;) Nurse Dux

Dale Hunkins

One square FOOT is anything that totals 12 square inches (3" x 4", 2" x 6", 1" x 12", and so on). One foot SQUARE is 1 foot by 1 foot, or 144 square inches. I'm a math teacher, FWIW. ;) Nurse Dux
I know this post is a troll, but I had to respond anyway. A space of 3"x4" = 12 square inches. 12 square inches is NOT a square foot, a square foot is 144 square inches. A foot square and a square foot are exactly the same thing. If you were really a teacher, I sure would hope that you are not teaching my kids. There are some people on this forum not familiar with feet and inches that might tend to believe this s^&$. If I were you I would be very careful the next time I ordered flooring.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….