• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New tank: how many pairs?

RFJ

Hi all,

I didn't know were to start this thread so i chose the General section, hopefully this is not a problem.
I've started a few weeks back my new tank. Its the Rio300 (300 liter/ 79 gallon). At this moment there are swimming 30 petitella georgiae (false rummy-nose?), an old corydoras and about 8 amano shrimps in my tank. This week i will receive 10 corydoras Sterbai and (hopefully) a pair of Ramirezi. This is how my tank looks:

14tlaq.png

Now i have the following questions:
I've added two half coconuts and a few flat rocks in my tank. I really would like to buy an apistogramma pair, my girlfriend fell in love with the Ramirezi (i can see why). Is it possible to add a pair of apistogramma to my tank? Or will this be total war with the Ramirezi and the corydoras?

If its possible, what kind of apistogramma do u suggest? I think my currect and new fish like some warmer water then most apistogramma's, correct?

When i look at my tank, my current fish and my new fish..i think i have some space left to add another fish. This space is at the ''highest water level''. The middle and the bottem are filled with the false rummy nose, the corydoras and dwarfs; correct? What kind of fish can i add to the top? Are angels (scalare) a option? Or do they want to much gallons?

Thanks all and my apologies for my english. Its not my native language.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If you do a search of previous posts you'll find that your community tank will not be close to ideal for a pair of apistos. That being said, if you want to try a pair of apistos, I'd suggest A. sp. Wangenflecken because they are more adaptable to warm water temperatures and water value - and less likely to eat smaller shrimp. Rummynose Tetras are excellent apisto fry predators, BTW. With 11 corys and 2 dwarf cichlid pairs, the bottom will be very 'busy'. Most smaller top-dwelling killifish, pencilfish, and hatchetfish will work for surface dwellers.

Reactions: RFJ

RFJ

If you do a search of previous posts you'll find that your community tank will not be close to ideal for a pair of apistos. That being said, if you want to try a pair of apistos, I'd suggest A. sp. Wangenflecken because they are more adaptable to warm water temperatures and water value - and less likely to eat smaller shrimp. Rummynose Tetras are excellent apisto fry predators, BTW. With 11 corys and 2 dwarf cichlid pairs, the bottom will be very 'busy'. Most smaller top-dwelling killifish, pencilfish, and hatchetfish will work for surface dwellers.

I've done a search of previous posts when i was not a member and came to that conclusion :p. Although the size of your tank and the way you have used driftwood and inplants in your tank can make a difference. Its just that sometimes u have something in your head and the only way to get it out is to make a thread on this forum and get advise from someone with your status and experience;)... In my case i hoped that my ''jungle'' and ''beach'' was sufficient to house a pair of ramirezi, pair of apisto and cory's. I've been to many fishshops and they all said it was possible to harbor 3 pairs (because they are peacefull cichlids) including tankmates in 1.20m, but it raised questionmarks....cichlids and peacefully? Thats why i started reading on this forum.

I will look into the killifish and pencelfish. I've suggested the hatchedfish, but it became clear that they are not populair in my home:p

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiymyers60

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….