• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New fishroom and Tank size

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
I´m not a beginner in mantaining Apistos, but I´m moving to a big house and I´ll have enough space to make a real good fishroom.

Before I begin to make the stands and buy the tanks, I´ll ask you what is the best tank size to mantain Apistos.

I´d like to have tank with pairs and/or trios and other tanks with a community of Apistos of the same specie (I won´t mix species in a tank); also the tanks will be densely planted and with wood, caves and so on.

Please, talk about size (in inches or centimeters, no problem); but not in liters/galons, because in my country there´s no "standard size" in tanks. The cost of the tank depends only in the size of the glass (it´s the same to buy a 24x12x12 than a 12x12x24).

Thanks in advance.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
All the dimensions listed are length x width x height: I use tanks that are either 24"x13"x13", 24"x13"x16" or 30"x13"x13" for pairs. I keep colonies in tanks that are 48"x13"x13" or 36"x18"x16". If you are interested in seeing a fishroom go up step by step:

www.tedsfishroom.com

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
Thanks tjudy. I saw your web page one month ago and it helped me a lot.

So, I´ve a question:
What is the size of a 40 gallon breeding tank?

Thanks again.

AdamT

5 Year Member
I'll add to that question for you, tjudy:

How many fish do you keep in a colony? I ask for the sake of my apisto trifasciata that I'm trying to build a population of in my 55 ga (48" x 12" x 18" I think).

-Adam

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
The 40 Br is the 36x18x16 inch tank.

Colony breeding depends upon the type of fish. I have never kept A. trifasciata, so I do not know if they are candidates or not. I have colony-spawned A. cacatuiodes, A. sp. 'rotpunkt', A. sp. 'maulbruter', A. aggassizii, A. borelli and A. veijita. I usually put one male and four or five females in a tank loaded with driftwood and floating plants. My impression is that two or three females will do the majority of the breeding, while the other females pretty much hang on, avoid eh dominant fish and just survive. When I take the non-breeding females out, however, one of the breeding females becomes the least dominant fish and stops breeding.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndrewShNN

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….