• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nannostomus marilynae?

Chromedome

5 Year Member
I picked up a dozen of these Pencils a couple of months ago, they were being sold as N. trifasciata, which they obviously are not. The best I can tell is that they are N. marilynae, though there are a couple of similar species for which there is little information available. Since there seems to be more knowledge about these fish here than anywhere else, I thought I'd post a shot and see if I can get some verification, or not.

Nannostomus marilynae group.JPG

They seem to be more nervous than beckfordi or marginatus, though they appear to be adjusting to my presence finally. Currently in a long 20, lots of Water sprite on the surface, which usually has a calming effect on small fish. They are about 2 inches or so.

So, what do you guys think?

rr16

5 Year Member
Are they named after Marilyn W?
Oh and sorry, I know nothing of them.

Chromedome

5 Year Member
Yes, the species was named after Marilyn Weitzman. Described in 1975 by Weitzman and Cobb, but I believe it was occasionally imported as N. bifasciatus before that. That name was attached to any two stripe Pencil for a long time. In fact, I can find few verifiable photos of bifasciatus.

rr16

5 Year Member
Ok. I was chatting to her via email a few weeks ago to try to confirm the identification of my Pyrrhulina cf. brevis. She seemed very nice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….