1. Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

nannacara anomala

Discussion in 'Dwarf Cichlids' started by Cookie_apisto, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Cookie_apisto

Cookie_apisto Member

Just bought a pair of nannacara anomala two days ago and here is the male. Just wondering if he will have more color when he get to the adult size? He is only 1" now.

Attached Files:

2. Mike Wise

Mike Wise Moderator Staff Member 5 Year Member

There are several different color varieties of N. anomala, but most have a dusky base color. Once your male becomes the dominant fish in the tank he should darken considerably.
  3. Cookie_apisto

Cookie_apisto Member

dusky base with greenish skinny scale? What kind of food I should feed to help him bring out the best color?
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  4. Cookie_apisto

Cookie_apisto Member

Here is my Apisto macmasteri pair! Commons are welcome! Just lowered down the temp to 78F for them before was 80F due to that I have a discus in the tank but the discus is gone for the trade in now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  5. Mike Wise

Live foods would be best, but a varied diet with some color enhancing flake or pellet foods added will help. Also realize that anomalas aren't the most colorful dwarf cichlid out there.
  6. Mike Wise

The look like the Rotrucken/Red-shoulder Macs of the 70s and 80s, which were a wild color form. Do you know if these are domestic bred or wildcaught?
  7. Cookie_apisto

Cookie_apisto Member

Is frozen live food ok? For the Mac I think they are captive breed because my lfs told me they are in tap water but I am not sure. They look like wild caught ones? I actually bringing down the ph slowly by every water change.
  8. Mike Wise

9. Cookie_apisto

Cookie_apisto Member

He look nice and huge! Did yoy breed them? So if mine are from wild I should lower the ph and hardness more faster? Right now I am slowly bringing down the ph and hardness by water change every three days. The ph is 7.4 and kh is 4 right now. temp is 78F