• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My first Tanganyika(ish) tank

The reginator

5 Year Member
First off, Hi there, this is my first post here! I've kept fish before as a kid, just some fairly standard fairground goldfish, but nothing more until last year when I bought a little 70l tank and stuck a few random fish in it. However, my obsessive nature soon came to the fore and with the happy chance opportunity to purchase a couple of 120l tanks with all the gubbins for a giveaway earlier this year all systems are go. My first few fish became the basis for my current community tank, which has a couple of dwarf cichlids lurking in it: a male honsloi, a female nijsseni, two undetermined crenicaras and a likewise unsexed borelli. Early on I was also sold a nanochromis transvestitis pair as a nice friendly community fish, with the result that a second tank got started and one local shop stopped seeing me. Then came my favorite buy so far, a big fat lamprologus tetracephalus! After a brief campaign of terror he/she was firmly boss of the second tank. Then came the giant fire-bellied newt. A particularly fine example, about 6 inches long, she ate both nanochromis within a week, although how she caught them remains a mystery as she is not exactly swift. Anyway, next a pair of celebes rainbowfish joined the tank with no problems and have since been followed by a pair of tetras and a synodontis angelicus. The tank is set up with plenty of rock 'n plant pot cover and a scattering of grass like plants, and I'm thinking of putting a judi of some kind and a congo tetra or two in. Anyone have any definate do's or don'ts?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndrewShNN

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….