• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My agassizi Tefe

Champ_17

5 Year Member
The strain of my Tefe are wild caught which sold as Apistogramma Biteaniata tefe as below.

p4080006.jpg

when it grow up my friend know that it is not A.Beaniata at all but A.Agassizi tefe.

0dsc00109.jpg

The owner of the fish is my friend. He bred the Tefe with another female Tefe breed
This is a photo of Tefe breed strain.
dsc00192.jpg

The offspring of wildcaugh Tefe and
Picture 136 (Large) (2).jpg
Tefe breed is my Agassizi tefe that I brought from my friend. he has ZigZag stripe at his belly
Picture 147 (Large).jpg

Attachments

• Picture 135 (Large).jpg
    Picture 135 (Large).jpg
    475.2 KB · Views: 747
  • Picture 139 (Large).jpg
    Picture 139 (Large).jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 737

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Not necessarily. The Rio Tefé has 2 distinct species that belong to the agassizii-complex: A. agassizii and A. sp. Tefé. In this case the fish appear to be A. sp. Tefé.

Champ_17

5 Year Member
I think that's an interesting story. If that agassizii was a by-catch of bitaeniata "Tefe" collection, it would most certainly be agassizii "Tefe", right?
Thisis an really interesting fish. There are very difficult to find wild A.Tefe in market trade. esspecailly in Bangkokใ ศฯศ

Champ_17

5 Year Member
Not necessarily. The Rio Tefé has 2 distinct species that belong to the agassizii-complex: A. agassizii and A. sp. Tefé. In this case the fish appear to be A. sp. Tefé.
Thank for identifying my fish.
After looking for a real A.Tefe in the market for so long, finally I got it.

Actually I have another Apistogrmma Agassizi or Tefe need you to identify.
what is this Fish? It is offspring of A.tefe but It has more red pigment all over its head and its back.
IMG_0518 (Medium).jpg

Picture 032 (Small).jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The last fish appears to show deformed scales on the caudal peduncle. This is a classic feature of a cross of A. sp. Tefé X A. agassizii. These crosses tend to be sterile.

Melanochromis

Champ posted pictures of two batches of this male's fry in a Thai forum. So this one is probably not sterile. In such case of a cross producing fry of his own, do you happen to know if he would pass on the deformities to the next generation? Or would deformities be limited only to the first generation of Tefe hybrid?

Melanochromis

And, Mike, would you consider the fish in the picture below an A. sp. "Tefe" or perhaps an A. sp. "Tefe" cross? It took me a while to realize that I happened to have taken pictures of this interesting fish, which, like Champ's fish, shows some abnormal lining of scales. This one was originally labelled Apistogramma agassizii "Manicore" but that didn't seem to be the case.

BST01.jpg

Champ_17

5 Year Member
Champ posted pictures of two batches of this male's fry in a Thai forum. So this one is probably not sterile. In such case of a cross producing fry of his own, do you happen to know if he would pass on the deformities to the next generation? Or would deformities be limited only to the first generation of Tefe hybrid?

As Melanochromis said, I had two batches of The male's fry.
The first batch was around 30. All of them were healthy but I'm not sure it will be deformed scales when they grow up.
From what i can see all of them are not shown abnormality.
Picture 239 (Large).jpg

Champ_17

5 Year Member
The last fish appears to show deformed scales on the caudal peduncle. This is a classic feature of a cross of A. sp. Tefé X A. agassizii. These crosses tend to be sterile.
For the male which show deformed scales because it is f2 generation of this male as picture below

picture191.jpg

I worry too about interbreed amoung agassizi group. Actually I need to keep a real Apistogramma Tefe but it is difficult to find really true Apistogramma tefe in the market if it not from wild strain.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Neither Champ's nor Melanochromis' fish show the diagnostic red wavy stripes below the lateral band of A. sp. Tefé. Maybe its just the way they're photographed. Maybe they are some other form of the A. agassizii superspecies. M's fish shows deformed scales and C's has a very oddly shaped lateral band. Both are probably due to breeding for color, not for conformity with the original form.

Champ_17

5 Year Member
Neither Champ's nor Melanochromis' fish show the diagnostic red wavy stripes below the lateral band of A. sp. Tefé. Maybe its just the way they're photographed. Maybe they are some other form of the A. agassizii superspecies. M's fish shows deformed scales and C's has a very oddly shaped lateral band. Both are probably due to breeding for color, not for conformity with the original form.
Thank for Indentify Mike. : )

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….