• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mouth won't close - trauma?

S

saltbox19

My A. cacatuoides today developed a gaping mouth that just will not shut. It looks as though he has it open as far as it can go and is stuck. My concern is that some damage has been done to his jaw, perhaps in a skirmish with another fish. He is a large adult around 2 years old and was hatched and raised in the tank. There are currently no other ciclids in the tank (his parents were massacred in the ciclid wars of 2002, due to, I believe, a stocking miscalculation on our part). Has anyone heard of this affliction? Is there a disease I am overlooking that would cause this? If it is trauma, is there a way to help him get his mouth back to normal? He is such a beautiful specimen and has been such a survivor, we would hate to lose him. Any help would be welcomed.[/b]

Randall

5 Year Member
Gaping Mouth Disease

Hello Saltbox,

Unfortunately, this type of thing happens on occasion. Your fish might have dislocated his jaw in a jaw locking squirmish, but I can't say for sure. Can you see any obstruction in his mouth? It may be necessary to net him, place him on a wet towel and see if anything is lodged inside. It's a judgement call, but you may try to very gently close his mouth using wet fingers if nothing is stuck inside.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….