• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mature?

Nick S.

5 Year Member
I was wondering how long it takes M. Altaspinosa to mature? I read somewhere that they are late bloomers and don't reach sexual maturity until they are about 2 years old, is this true? I have a male and a female that get along well but show no interest in mating. Can I feed them something to bring them around?

Cathy G

5 Year Member
Yep, they are late bloomers - I don't think 2 years though. Perhaps one year or so - I have 6 month juvies and they are still under 2 inches. My spawning pair are full grown and spawn regularly every 2-3 weeks now. They do have longer life spans than the blue rams however, blues being ready to spawn at the 3 or so month mark.

If you have the right water for them, patience is your only hope, they are the slowest growing/maturing fish! Feed them high protein stuff along with pellets and they'll do fine. (I feed mine mysis shrimp, blood worms, spirolina brine shrimp, spirolina algae tablets, New Life cichlid pellets, krill, etc...)

Cathy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stripes

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….