• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male apisto cac go in discus tank?

traco

5 Year Member
I've put a couple of posts here as I'm new to apistos. Quick info, I have 2 males and 2 females in a 29 gallon planted tank. Females are turning bright yellow which says spawning could happen. One male is alpha, the other one gets chased around by him.

Can I put this less dominant male into a discus tank? Temp is 85, tank is a 90 gallon with 6 discus, 4 angels, 6 cories, 2 plecos. A couple of pieces of driftwood with anubias and java fern attached, a few silk plants, skim coat of sand for substrate. Will he be fine in there?

I also have a 33 gallon planted but it has shrimp in there and I'm thinking they would be a snack for the apisto? Or would he leave them alone? There are platies, guppies, shrimp, cories, pleco in the 33

Some help and guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Galactic Doug

5 Year Member
Hi
Sometimes people can be a bit busy here and might not get back right away.. I personally would just say that the Apistos are not geared towards 85degree water as most like it around 76-80 with normal breeding in the middle somewhere(species interdependant). The 30 would be the better bet but consider that Apistos are cichlids and therefore eat (small) meaty things like shrimps if they can. What size are the cichlids versus the shrimps? If the shrimps are very small to small sized and the Apistos are medium to large it is probably safe to assume they would at least bite at if not totally harm the shrimps. (especially if the shrimps are molting for growth, they shed there exoskeletons for a small period).

Good luck and if you still get no other answers here for a couple more days just try putting the same post in another section like the general or health sections.
Good Luck
Doug:biggrin:

traco

5 Year Member
Thanks Doug, for your reply.:) I did wonder if the discus tank might be too high in temperature. The only other option is my 33 community or leave him in with the other male and females. I do have a 20 gallon with fish QT'ing right now so that is why I asked about the discus tank and the community tank. This male apisto is around 3" and the shrimp vary in size from babies to 1" full grown.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Put the cacatuoides in with the discus. He will do ok with them. Just realize that he will age faster than normal, so don't expect him to live more than a year or 2.

apistoireland

5 Year Member
your cac. will be ok with the discus. I keep them with discus at 28 degrees celcius. They are 3 years old and show no sings of premature ageing, however, if you raise the temperature any further they will probably be more short lived

Galactic Doug

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
Put the cacatuoides in with the discus. He will do ok with them. Just realize that he will age faster than normal, so don't expect him to live more than a year or 2.

There is something else that might be considered here. Even though the Caca's might be OK in the end run... Of course there is always more than one way to get this done as your finding out Traco.
I have kept/bred Discus for years and NEVER kept other fishes with them even though they "can" be kept with them, so that the accidental transferance of hole in the head or other diseases to the Discus can be kept to a minimum.(consider this theorum:
Higher temp + Much larger fish(discus) = More stressful living for caca's = More chances of diseases which can transfer back to the discus)

It's just a matter of your fish keeping practices with regards to your discus's health also.. Good luck Traco!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndrewShNN

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….