• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Loss of Apisto

MikeNYC

5 Year Member
I just found my jeuvenile (4-5 mos old?) A. Eliza dead laying on the bottom of the tank today. I was away for 3 days, so I was not able to monitor her over the weekend. She was desperately hiding last night when I got home and did not come out to feed, so I knew there was a problem. No signs of illness or trauma, other than looking bloated with bulging eyes after death, which I assume is a normal occurance after a fish dies. BUT, her tail did look seriously nipped.

I had 2 pair of Eliza, and did notice the other female, who is larger, being very aggressive with her and I am wondering if this could have caused her death.

I am relatively new to this and I am wondering how to tell if the death could have been caused by aggression. What are the signs? Is this common for same species Apistos to kill each other? The 2 pair were in a 40 gallon breeder.

Thanks

Fatts

5 Year Member
Mike,
I have noticed that my Elizas are VERY aggresive compared to other dwarfs I have kept. I put my small pairs into a 20L gal and I couldn't leave them there for long. One of the males took the entire thing as his territory, no matter how much I broke it up. I ended up separating the pairs, but the males are still mean.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Hmm... eliza can be very aggresive; while i used to keep 1 male with two female together in a 25 liter tank without much problem. The trick i used is to
include more hiding places and flasks in the tank. In some cases, i will
put a mirror next to the tank so that the most aggresive eliza (no matter
it's a male or female) will have a never-die target to attack... it reduces
the chance of killing fish when there's a madly aggresive fish in the tank. You may try.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….