• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

looking for dwarf cichlids in the denver are

moth_baller

I live in Englewood, Co and looking for a pair of bolivian rams for a 55g planted tank. also might be interested in apistos if they would get along. they seem a little scarce in my area. I can order them but I would like to get a pair and wondering if there are any local breeders in and around the Denver area or anyone know of where.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
I seriously doubt anyone including any local breeder will sell bolivian rams by the pair. You are better off getting a group of 6 or so.

moth_baller

I know that but I am still throwing it out there. i'm also just trying to find them in general as well since I don't see them really at any of lfs anymore. when I was a teenager I used to see them a lot more. all I really find is the gbr and I am not that as into them.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I've lived in Denver for 35+ years. Once there were several shops that consistently had dwarfs. Now I know of no LFS that consistently sells them. I've basically given up on LFS for apistos and bring them in from out of state (or go to the Amazon and collect my own!). Bolivian Rams, however are fairly common. Do yow want an actual male/female pair? Unlikely. Even I have problems sexing young specimens.

moth_baller

hi mike you are the reason i joined this forum. i saw your name get dropped on another forum. when i googled rams and Denver this also popped up and you were a mod. the only place i have found that has bolivians is todd's and i haven't been able to get over there to check them out. i know finding a pair is slim to none but you never know. and i am probably just going to have to get what i want from out of state and that's okay. if there is a chance of finding someone local then that is just preferred. i'm probably a month away too from really being able to redo my tank so i figured i should start the hunt now.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I haven't been to Fish Den in several months, but they usually carry young Bolivian Rams. It's a bit out of your neighborhood (NW Denver), however, so call around first.

moth_baller

I've never been there but I have heard of it. They aren't that far away from me and I don't mind a bit of a drive compared to shipping charges.

Believe it or not Pet smarts are now carring Bolivian rams at $4.99 each! Not a typical place to find anything worth while.
I also just found some nice "single key" cleithecara maronii at a local Petco! I had checked my fish club, the L.F.S. and aquabid and low and behold there they were, I only went to get some frozen fish foods!!! go figure...

moth_baller

really? I may have to go check that out. I live within 15 minutes of two petsmarts and 3 petcos. as well as 2 lfs. I am not real keen on big box pet store fish. when they have a sale and they are moving a lot of fish I have from time to time picked some up. thanks for the heads up.

WoW,
you'll have to make a day cruise out of all these stores! Let us know what you find and rate their stores while your at it... Good luck! What area/state are these store at???
As for the big box pet store fish sales, they can buy in large quanity and sell for less.
Just yesterday at a Petsmart, (were I saw those B. rams) I scored 16 Corys, Aeneus and Paleatus for $16.00, regular price would have been $72.00 before taxes!
They are big, fat breeding sized adults. go figure!!!

Last edited:

moth_baller

i'm in the very south part of Denver Colorado. the lfs I usually lurk at is hardly 2 min from me. the petco closest to me isn't all that great. the two petsmarts by me are actually decent and I hardly ever see a dead fish. i'll definitely post my findings. hoping in about 2 weeks I can afford to start my rescape on my 55 and will need to start making trips

Sabre

I recently bought (3 months ago) a pair from aqua imports in Boulder. I didn't buy them as a pair but I chose a boy and girl who look to have paired up. They are apistogramma cacatoides. (Yellowish orange variety) They had more last time I looked they also had some Double red agazzizi but I didn't get any in fear of them pairing up with the wrong species (I read that it can happen and shouldn) They also had a 3rd specie of wich I do not remember but didn't peak my interest. As for fish den the other member is correct they typically have bolivians. I actually just got a pair of blue rams from them and my cacatoides didn't even care they had a new pair of roomies. The rams seem more aggressive. I actually plan on going back to aqua imports later this week to get the Agassizis later this week. Also I do see bolivians at pets mart from time to time as well.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….