• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Looking for a list of the basics

awholley

5 Year Member
I am a newly-returning hobbyist who as a teenager had bred about 20 species of common cichlids.

[ skip 30 years..]

I'm now interested in trying my hand at some more advanced species and techniques, and have targeted Apistogramma species as my first attempts.

I have no equipment or tanks whatsoever, so I am looking for recommendations on what I need to maintain, say 3 pairs or trios of different species at a time.

Specifically, I'm looking for recommendations on:

Breeding tank size (10 gal? bigger?)

Filters (sponge, undergravel, external, box)0000

Substrate

Water chemistry maintenance treatments/chemicals/RO/etc.
(water here is hard, slightly alkaline and treated with chloramine)

Other "tools of the trade" you guys use regularly.

Books with practical information

Species to start with?
I have always wanted to try A. reitzigi, A. agassizii, A. cacatuoides and
A. borellii

All help and mentoring will be greatly appreciated!

Alan Holley
Plano, TX

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi Allen,

I use 10 gallon, 20 gallon, and 30 gallon tanks for my apistos. Of these sizes the 30 gallon long size is the best by far. It's fairly roomy yet I can move it by myself if I need to. It's a good size for a trio of apistos (1m&2f) with some tetras and/or pencilfish for dithers. Add a nice piece of driftwood, a few plants and a couple caves (I use Java Moss covered coconut shell halves) and everyone will be comfortable and feel right at home. Of course larger is always better, so a 55 gallon is better yet.

I've found 20 gallon to work best with pairs and 10 gallons usually only work out with the most peaceful species. When I've put trios in 20 gallon tanks, 1 of the females is usually left by herself.

Borellii are one of the most peaceful of the apistos. My cacs are also peaceful.

If you plan to raise fry in the tank, sponge filters are probaby best. I run 2 in my 30 gallon tanks. Sponge filters and Java Moss provide a source of infusoria for young fry.

Michael

farm41

5 Year Member
when buying tanks for apistos, it is best to get the long tanks versus the high tanks(20L as apposed to 20H) the apistos will appreciate the extra floor space.

IMO
YMMV

Neil

awholley,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

I'll just cut to the chase here:

Breeding tank size (10 gal? bigger?)

15g breeding species tank

Filters (sponge, undergravel, external, box)0000

sponge filter

Substrate

light gravel or course sand

Water chemistry maintenance treatments/chemicals/RO/etc.
(water here is hard, slightly alkaline and treated with chloramine)

RO, peat, whatever product you will need for neutralizing any chloramine and test meter or kits for pH, hardness (and nitrification process, if you haven't cycled the tank).

Other "tools of the trade" you guys use regularly.

Python or another water changing device. Wood, rocks, or plants and a couple of caves.

Books with practical information

Romers Atlas.

Species to start with?
I have always wanted to try A. reitzigi, A. agassizii, A. cacatuoides and
A. borellii Breeding tank size (10 gal? bigger?)

A. cacatuoides or borellii

Of course, there are variations that are good and would work fine, but I did say I would cut to the chase.

Good luck,
Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….