• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ivanacara Adoketa

Xenaph

A pair of 8
The other are dominate

Attachments

• IMG_0016_2.jpg
    IMG_0016_2.jpg
    976.3 KB · Views: 603
  • IMG_0019_2.jpg
    IMG_0019_2.jpg
    1,005.2 KB · Views: 604
  • IMG_0013_2.jpg
    IMG_0013_2.jpg
    947.8 KB · Views: 829
  • IMG_0018_2.jpg
    IMG_0018_2.jpg
    955.6 KB · Views: 564
  • IMG_0011_2.jpg
    IMG_0011_2.jpg
    964.1 KB · Views: 508
  • IMG_0012_2.jpg
    IMG_0012_2.jpg
    994.2 KB · Views: 488

Xenaph

They grew! It amazing the color of my male! Blue, black and orange.

I give blood worm 4 times of week, Shrimp 2 times, daphnia 1 times (all frozen food) and sometime live grindal worm.

Can i give black worm ?

Xenaph

I have à problèm,

My pair from my group of 8 adoketa grow, but the others don't.

The female is 4cm and mâle 6cm (always have color)

The other still between 2-4cm (have color only feed time)

I need to remove them ?

I hope to keep 2 pairs in thèse tank (30*21*20)

I also bought an CO2 kit to regulate pH and plants.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, move the other fish to another tank. Stress from the first pair means that others are not eating well and becoming stunted. I doubt that you can keep 2 pairs in a 30x21x20"/75x50x50cm tank; definitely not in a 30x21x20 cm tank. If you plan to breed this species, it is unlikely that you will succeed in a well-planted tank; water values will favor the fish and not the plants, or vicaversa.

Xenaph

I only have a 15G left without substrate (hospital tank), so i can't move all of them but i can move 2-3 fish ?

The planted tank, i can't breed them and have beautiful plant they live in 5 ph ?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
The planted tank, i can't breed them and have beautiful plant they live in 5 ph ?
Although I believe there aren't any submerged plants in Ivanacara's natural habitat, and it won't be an aquascape, I think you can.

There are a number of plants that will grow at very low pH, hardness and nutrient levels. In fact some plants like Syngonanthus, Tonina, Eriocaulon and Brasenia are only really growable long term in "black water" conditions.

Anubias, most mosses, Ceratopteris, some Cryptocoryne spp., Java fern, Bolbitis heudelotii and Pistia are all "low light" plants that will survive and grow in very acidic, nutrient poor conditions <http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/i...inguishing-orinoco-and-rio-negro-types.15009/>.

These tanks are for Parosphromenus, but Ivanacara needs similar water conditions. <http://www.parosphromenus-project.org/en/prachtgurami-aquaristics/tanks.html>, and this is a Riparium style set-up in which Poecilocharax spawned <http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/joes-tank.16361/>.
042-2.jpg

cheers Darrel

Last edited:

illumnae

5 Year Member
Very lovely tank Darrel! I'm trying to convert my I. adoketa tank into a riparium too, once I get the supplies

Currently, I'm growing H. tenellus, E. oparcus, E. ozelot and C. helferi in my blackwater I. adoketa tank with root tabs and they are doing well.

Xenaph

I moved two I. Adoketa this morning in the other tank, i will try to sell it because i don't have enough place for them.
In another tank, i have 6 apistogramma veil fleck….

It hard for me to move them, because the water don't have the same parameter. I acclimate them to the new one again, but without substrate they look stress. I take 70% of water of my tank and switch in the hospital tank. (mine is 55G and hospital 15G)

I need to move the big tank in 2-3 months, currently my tap water is 7 ph 0 kh and 0 gh. Where i move, the tap water is around 7 ph but the kh and gh is hard more than 5. I will need to mix osmose water with the tap water or only amond leave will do the job ?

Thank

Xenaph

I removed all of them, only the pair is in the tank 55g (30"21"20")

Is it too big or it is good for spawning ?

Can add cardinal tetra ?

Other is in 15G (24"12"14")

Thank

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I don't believe that you can have a tank that is too large for this species.:) It might be more difficult to concentrate food for the fry in such a large tank, but the water quality will remain higher (more stable) for a longer time. Cardinal tetras are infamous fry predators. You will lose many (if not most) of your fry to them. Pencilfish would be a better option.

Xenaph

The tap water of my new house is 7,2 ph, 0 gh and 3 degré of kh.

Do will need to mix with osmose water or is it good ?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think that if you treat the water with sphagnum peat, you will lower the pH and dKH adequately. As for pencilfish in Qubec, I don't know. Does any LFS buy from Below Water in Montreal?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….