• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Intro. of new female to clan

MikeNYC

5 Year Member
I have a pair of Apisto Elizabethae, who have paired off in a 40 gallon breeder. Although, the male may qualify as an abusive boyfriend. The male is almost fully grown (1.5 inches?) at about 8 months old and the female is still pretty small and around the same age.

I would like to introduce another fully grown female Eliza who is about 1 1/2 years old that I have been keeping alone with some pencil fish in a seperate tank. I have had her for almost a year now and she hasn't seen another cichlid in about that much time.

I am considering dropping in a bunch more drift wood and clay pots in this 40 gallon to act as hiding places in case there is major trouble.

What is the best way to introduce her to this pair? Am I committing her to certain death by this male? (she is about the same size as the male) Should I worry about the smaller female who has already paired off with the male?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Rearrange the decor of the aquarium to remove the old territories, add as many hiding places as possible, & keep an eye on everyone just to make sure everything is OK. A. elizabethae is a harem breeder. The extra female will relieve the pressure on the lone female now with the male. Just make sure that each female can establish a territory & you should be OK.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
natrickshwaxey

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….