• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

In Search of T. Candidi or C. Compressiceps

jakeowen

5 Year Member
Hi Everyone,
I am not sure if I am allowed to post an ISO add here, but if I am, I am looking for a trio or a couple of pairs of T. Candidis, or I would also be interested in a trio of C. Compressicceps.
I am in NJ, and would prefer meeting in person to pick them up, but shipping them in is not out of the question.
I will happily pay a reasonable price for them.
I would prefer wild, but F1s are fine as well.
Thanks,
Jay

Apistt_ed

hello,
Of course you can post a ISO post in here. Many times there will be a number of people who can help you out. well, in this case, I'm sorry I can't help you out very much. I personally haven't seen C. compressiceps in quite some time. But I do remember T. Candidi was offered here by Neil a few months back. I have seen these fish on import lists also and maybe you can ask local petshops to see if they can get a hold of some for you. that would be my suggestion. hopefully this helps a little.

john

jakeowen

5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply Ed,
I took a trip to a distant LFS I go to on occasion, and they actually had some compressiceps. I did not pick them up, as I wanted to learn a little more about sexing them, AND the salesman said they can order the Candidis for me, So I am going to see how that turns out, because I would prefer the Candidis right now.

My next question is, what is a fair price at a LFS for a trio of Candidis?
They were selling the C. Compressiceps for $30 each. It seemed a bit expensive. Is this the going rate?

Thanks again,
Jay

Apistt_ed

hello again,

The price of the C.compressiceps or Green dwarf pike as it's also known as, is a pretty regularly imported fish, even though we might not see it too often, but $30 per fish is very expensive IMO. It would have to be a "rarer" fish or sold at a large petstore that will jack prices just because they can. I saw A.cacatuoides labeled "double red" not in the greatest shape, this past weekend that sold for $39 each just because it was in the richer side of town. A smile came upon my face when i saw it because I knew a 15minute drive down to the small oddball fish shop owned by passionate aquarists had them for $5.99 each. :wink: It's sad but it happens. Preying on other's "wish list", will make $$ but the issue of it's ethics stands.

The going price for T. candidi that I've seen ranges about around $25 per pair so averaging about 12-15 dollars per fish. That's when they are offered. But it only comes down to what you wouldn't pay for something you really wanted... in many cases for many of us, it's usually up to an arm and a leg! :p

aspen

5 Year Member
i have paid 17 usd to 22 usd each for c. compressiceps. they are tough to find though... i'm in toronto, and the closest places i could find for them was buffalo and detroit.

www.belowwater.com has some c. compressiceps. ask oliver for his list. lots of interesting things on there. as a community fish with dwarfs, i wouldn't put them together, but for a tank with larger fish ( 5" geophagus etc) c. compressiceps are very cool. they like rock piles with crevices.

rick

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….