• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

In over my head with fry!

pinkie

I've been keeping a.cacatuoides and a.agassizii since roughly June and whilst I wished for one of the pairs to breed, I never thought for a minute they would do so within 12 days of each other.

Each pair has their own tank. When they spawned, each male had to taken out.

The a.cacatuoides are about 14-15 days old and the a.agassizzii must be about 5-7 roughly, they were only seen today. They are fed on baby brine shrimp and liquifry.

How long can i keep the fry and female together?

I plan to give fry to my LFS, at what age would this be recommended?

When should I worry about fry being old enough to inter-breed? I really want to avoid this!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My philosophy is to keep females and fry together as long as the female accepts them. This gives the female some time to rest before breeding again. This period is usually longer if no breeding partner is in the tank. I think that these non-reproductive rest cycles lead to longer life spans for breeders (fish, not the hobbyists;)). I think many breeders breed their fish to an early grave. Once the fry are too large for the tank to handle them all it is time to move them to a larger grow-out tank

Most LFS only want fish that are marketable. For apistos that mean sexible young adults, typicallyy somewhere between 6 - 10 months of age.

Interbreeding is not as bad a thing as it sounds, particularly for line-bred domestic color strains. If your apistos are domestic strains they most likely are line-bred. If one conscientiously culls defective fish everything should be OK.

gerald

5 Year Member
If you have a local aquarium club nearby, that could be another way to find homes for them, and hobbyists will probably take them at a smaller size than the pet shops will.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomek B.

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….