• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Imported as A. viejita

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I got in roughly 25 of these guys about two week ago under the name A. viejita from Colombia. Obviously wild caught. 1-1 1/2" on average. Males are showing no color yet. One of the females has a nice silver/metalic edge to her dorsal fin.

Any idea what they might really be?

IMG_7554.jpg

IMG_7551.jpg

IMG_7549.jpg

IMG_7545.jpg

IMG_7543.jpg

IMG_7555.jpg

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
And I will say they do look very similar to the A. viejita pictured in Datz. The double caudal puduncal spot matches fairly well.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
These came from Colombia?? Strange; they look like a eunotus-complex species to me. The dorsal blotches at the base of the dorsal fin are more pronounced on macmasteri-complex species. I also would expect to see a more zigzag border on the lateral band if the fish were a macmasteri-group species. With regards to the "double caudal peduncle spot" (on the second photo), compare the photo of the female of A. sp. Nanay in the DATZ book with this fish; very similar. The fish still appear to be small and not quite fully mature. I'd like to see them when they get a bit older.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
The list says Colombia, along with a number of other fish that also come out of Colombia. That doesn't mean they got it right though!

I'll keep a few back for myself and post more pics once they have matured some.

ste12000

5 Year Member
For what its worth i also imported A.veijita last month expecting macmasteri, they sent me cacatuoides with a few Eunotus types mixed in!!! obviously a few Peru species are making their way into Botoga?

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….