• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Identifying males/females in young fish

Everett

5 Year Member
I have a few fry, that survived by their own ingenuity, from a White gold A.cacatuoides x Triple red four are ~1.5in, and a fifth very tiny. I dont have a camera so i can't attach pictures, hopefully my discription will give enough information for someone to say definitively male or female. I have seen them display to one another, so i'm sure that i have at least 1 of each sex. No matter color morph the fry have inherited, I was thinking that markings on their tail. I am focusing on trying to find markings that would lead me to the conclusion "female". I have probably two fish that show a gold reticulated line on the cauldal fin, from looking at my female-she has a V shaped gold reticulation on her cauldal fin-can i conclude female? The other marking, i found the other fish, is in the dorsal fin, the first 2-4 spines are black and the body coloration immediately in front is neon yellow...so female? I think what trips me up is whichever are the males(if infact i have any)at some point on their body they are showing yellow.

If someone could point me toward other identifiers, I'll keep an eye out on this post and followup.
Everett

Zapisto

5 Year Member
Everett said:
I have a few fry, that survived by their own ingenuity, from a White gold A.cacatuoides x Triple red four are ~1.5in, and a fifth very tiny. I dont have a camera so i can't attach pictures, hopefully my discription will give enough information for someone to say definitively male or female. I have seen them display to one another, so i'm sure that i have at least 1 of each sex. No matter color morph the fry have inherited, I was thinking that markings on their tail. I am focusing on trying to find markings that would lead me to the conclusion "female". I have probably two fish that show a gold reticulated line on the cauldal fin, from looking at my female-she has a V shaped gold reticulation on her cauldal fin-can i conclude female? The other marking, i found the other fish, is in the dorsal fin, the first 2-4 spines are black and the body coloration immediately in front is neon yellow...so female? I think what trips me up is whichever are the males(if infact i have any)at some point on their body they are showing yellow.

If someone could point me toward other identifiers, I'll keep an eye out on this post and followup.
Everett
look at the pelvien fins
black is female usually

Neil

Everett,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Congratulations on your spawn!

I have seen them display to one another, so i'm sure that i have at least 1 of each sex.

Are you sure that that was mating displays. There is often little difference between the displays of a female to a male and of a female to another female for territory or competition. They can tell, but sometime we can't!

V shaped gold reticulation

I am not sure what this is, but it is unlikely that if you crossed a Yellow/Gold(White/Gold) to a triple red that you would have any gold fry. The gene is recessive and would not show up until crossing the fry from the original pair.

The other marking, i found the other fish, is in the dorsal fin, the first 2-4 spines are black and the body coloration immediately in front is neon yellow...so female?

Possibly. Is there any way for you to post a picture of the fish in question?

Color on the caudal fin and dorsal fin is often shared by both male and female in varying degrees. However, Zapistos suggestion is a good one. And, you probably will start seeing elongations of the first rays on the dorsal fin in males, as well as extentions of the ventral and anal fins in 1.5" specimens.

Neil

Everett

5 Year Member
Well, a fifth juv. appeared while i was studying the markings last night. As heavily as the tank is planted their could be more that have deeper territory. These fish are quite small for their age I suspect, 3-5months grown to <2". I owe that to the conditions which my plants are grown in, but I suspect they are capable of acting mature at this age.

I found that two have clear pelvic fins, the largest of which I am 80% is male. He is starting to show a lyre tail and extended posterior dorsal fins. The coloring is brown gold, unique is all i can say, and unfortunately pictures aren't going to be forthcoming at least for now I have no camera.

krustyart

5 Year Member
actually he could get yellow/gold IF...

actually he could get yellow/gold if the triple red was recessive for yellow/gold, which would happen if one of his parents was a yellow/gold and the other was a triple red with no genes for yellow/gold. Or even if only one grandparent was "split" for yellow/gold.

Everett

5 Year Member
I always had a problem with my adult male eating snails, in that I wanted to keep some. I got about 2 dozen recently, and it seems that ramshorns make an excellent young-juv food. In the last week or so, the largest of the juvs colored up in his tail. I have a fish with a yellow reticulated caudal fin, the rest of the body is a dusty brown/gold, and the elongated dorsal fins haven't shown me anything but gender. So, in something like a "Triple red" strain would you ever see yellow turn to red? If someone has time to type up a coloring progression for their AC's, it could be an interesting read. Up to the yellow reticulations appearing, I believed they were progressing just like a "TR". More later, someone else might find this interesting as I was looking for a similar post.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….