• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ideal water temp for incubation

wlagory

5 Year Member
hi, i am new here and am very impressed with the site and forum. :biggrin:. i thought maybe some of you could help me. i have a spawning pair of apistogramma borellii in a ten gallon tank with 1 otocinclus and 3 pristella tetras. the female has successfully raised her fry to the free swimming stage once but failed the past two spawns. is there an ideal temperature for getting a good egg hatch rate? what about water conditions? any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. borellii is a very adaptable species. It has been found in the wild in water temperatures as low as 35ºF/2ºC! Obviously they were not breeding (or even eating) at these temperatures. Most apistos prefer temperatures around 75-80ºF/25-27ºC. Water chemistry is not very important for A. borellii as long as it is not extremely hard or alkaline. If you really want to reproduce this fish, I suggest that you remove the tetras (possible fry predators), feed with live & frozen foods, do frequent partial water changes with mordeately soft & slightly acid water, & keep the temperature around 79º F/26º C.

wlagory

5 Year Member
awesome! thats exactly what i wanted to hear. i knew they were a more hardy apisto (probably the reason i got them to breed). My goal is not to sell fry or anything, but i would like to see the fish grow up a little. thanks again for the advice!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….