• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID please

mixmixi

Hi these are from a friend of mine from Colombia. He wants to find out what species are they? I'm guessing the last one is A. Megaptera? But not sure of the other ones? Maybe the first one is A. cf. personata? Can anyone help please?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414550181.641920.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414550199.375013.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414550213.441229.jpg

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
The last one is A. piaroa (definitely not megaptera, because of the dorsal fin with nearly all the spines elongated). My guess for the other two is A. personata.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Definitely close to A. personata from the Rio Uaupés (top 2 photos). I'd call them "A. cf. personata" with a location name if these are some of Daniel's fish. He's collected similar specimens from several locations in Colombia recently.

mixmixi

Thanks Mike I agree the first one could be A. cf. personata but is the second fish same as the first one? They're not daniel's but another Colombian collector. He said he collected these in Rio iniridae.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I should have looked at the name on the first photo. Hernando has been sending us photos of brevis-group species from the Vaupes and Inirida of Colombia for several years now. As I wrote above: "I'd call them "A. cf. personata" with a location name ...". Both of the 2 top photos show specimens closely related to A. personata. Whether or not they are the same species as A. personata - or even 1 or 2 completely different species - really depends on who you ask. A lumper would consider them all A. personata. A splitter would consider them all separate species if they come from different river systems. Me? I prefer to go the middle road and use 'A. cf. personata' for the Vaupes specimens found near Mitú, Colombia by both Werner in the early 1990s and, recently, by both Danial and Hernando as well as Hernando's Inirida fish. The question you didn't ask, "Would you mix them?" No, personally I wouldn't. But then I don't even mix populations of any apisto species. But that's just me.

mixmixi

Very complete explanation and good you know Hernando without even needing to name him, lol. You're right about not mixing them as these two might be from same family but look greatly different tbh. It's more the two known forms of allpahuayo which shouldn't be mixed. I've never seen any of these in the UK so will keep my fingers crossed. I'm guessing there're not many people knowing about them around, especially when it comes to the females of each population...

mixmixi

Oh wow! Did you manage to get these back with you Tom and is the lucky Viking going to get a hold of these? :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….