• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID for male and female Apistogramma Norberti ?

Whitesmith

Hello !

I just received my pair of Apistogramma Norberti and I have a doubt? is it really a male and a female?

Can you help me please to ID them !

The male :
Norberti1.jpg

Norberti2.jpg

The female :
NorbertiFem.jpg

NorbertiFem2.jpg

NorbertiFem3.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
These are very young/small fish. Still it looks like it probably is a male and female A. norberti. Males show a pattern in the caudal fin; females rarely do and is very faint when present. Just keep an eye on the fish. These fish behave much like A. nijsseni. Not every pair is compatible.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Best to put several males and females together and let them form pair bonds. Then remove them to their own breeding tank. Otherwise, you will probably lose non-paired fish.

Whitesmith

Thank you Mike !

Good news, now I'm sure that I have a male and a female because the female began to have its yellow color and became interested in him ! But right now, the male chases the female when she danse in front of him ... Is this normal?

When you say that pairs are not all compatible, is there still signs of "parade" or they completely ignore each other?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
When not compatible, usually it is the male that will try to drive the female out of his territory (usually the entire tank, unless very large). If she can't escape, then he might even kill her.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChrisJ

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….