• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Id apistogramma agassizii

Floating_Peaks

Hi everyone,

I bought what I believe to be an apistogramma agassizii female from my LFS but it managed to kill the male that was already in the tank. Can someone more experienced please confirm if this fish is a female please.

Many thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMAG0574.jpg
    IMAG0574.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 327
  • IMAG0568.jpg
    IMAG0568.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 315
  • IMAG0565.jpg
    IMAG0565.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 325

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I bought what I believe to be an apistogramma agassizii female from my LFS but it managed to kill the male that was already in the tank. Can someone more experienced please confirm if this fish is a female please.
With the normal disclaimer that I'm really poor at sexing and ID, but it's a male.

cheers Darrel

Floating_Peaks

Thanks Darrel, could someone else please confirm as I would like to have a pair and dont wish to be any fighting in the tank again.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It looks like a male to me, too. Note the extended pointed tip on the soft part of the dorsal fin. Females are much more rounded. I'd also recommend 2 or more females if the tank is suitable. A. agassizii is a polygamous species. Males can drive a single female crazy.

Floating_Peaks

Thanks now it makes sense why he killed the other smaller male. He doesnt bother the other fish in the tank which are tetras even at feeding time but wouldnt stand for the other male. I have setup some caves in the tank so will make sure the caves opening is small enough only for the female to fit in incase he's bothering her too much.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….