• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I found some fertilizer.......

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
Digging around in my closet full of fish stuff today. i wanted to ask you folks if it was cool to use before I did.

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals - Pond Care Aquatic Plant Food

guaranteed analysis:

Nitrogen: 20%
(7% Urea nitrogen)
(13% Water Insoluble nitrogen)

available phosphoric acid 10%
Soluble potash 5%
Calcium 2.80%
Magnesium .50%
Sulfur 2%
Boron .02%
Copper (soluble) .05%
Iron (soluble) .50%
manganese (water soluble) .05%
Zinc (soluble) .05%

they are slow release tablets and pretty big, I can snap a pic of one of them if you like. Have a look at the ingredients and let me know what you think!

Rich

aspen

5 Year Member
rich, let me say what i think.

i would prefer to add trace elements plus potassium in one supplement, , and in another supplement, add phosphorous and nitrogen, only if needed. these 2 are the ones most likely to cause you algae problems, and are usually in abundance in fish food, until the plants take off sufficiently to cause you to have defieiencies, if the fish load doesn't keep up with the plant growth.

imo, adding nitrogen or phosphorous is usually not necessary for at least 2 or 3 months after starting a planted tank, due to the abundance found in most tanks from the fish food. i would get another trace mix, like tropica master grow and use that for the beginning. then use the tabs if only you become nit and phos deficient.

i started a tank 4 weeks ago, and have not added any nit or phos (except fish food), the plants don't show deficiencies of these 2 yet, but the plants would be limping badly if i hadn't added potassium or iron yet. see what i mean? potassium and iron are the most important, unless the tank has no fish, (or fish food- nit and phos). btw, plnts would prefer to 'eat' ammonia but will eat nitrite or nitrates, in that order. amm doesn't need to be boken down as much for the plants to use it. the plants will actively compete with the bio-filter for the ammonia in your tank. this is a good thing.

rick

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….