• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hydra Treatments

tjd

5 Year Member
I am looking for a treatment that will kill Hydra without killing Java moss or the infusoria that is in with the moss. I am preparing to add the Java moss to a tank for raising fry.

I have read a variety of possible treatments including several anti-parasite meds, chemicals (bleach, copper, ...), heat, and H2O2. I believe that almost any anti-parasite med and the chemicals will take a heavy toll on the infusoria but I am not familiar with the effects of the others.

My other tanks are either too new or have recently had diseases that I am concerned about introducing if I were to use them as a source for the infusoria.

Tom

Greg PL

5 Year Member
don't know about different hydra species, but in my tank they disappeared when I added Nannostomus beckfordi and increased temp. to 26C.

both things happened at once, don't know what's the real cause.
algae eaters (even otocinclus) should be effective too.

Greg

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Infosoria populations will restablish very quickly. I would prioritize getting rid of the hydra. By your description I am assuming that the java moss with hydra is in another tank? Hydra hate salt and heat. Java moss couldn't care less. I have kept java moss in brackish water. You could increase salinity gradually over a few days up to a couplle Tbs aquarium salt per gallon, and but up the temperature a few degrees. I doubt that this will rid the tank of hydra completely, but it should knock the population down to more managable levels and not have to use a harsh pesitcide.

One thing to consider is why you have a lot of hydra in the first place. The usual reason is over feeding with bbs. I switched over decapsulated bbs cysts and have great growth rates and no hydra (I did have some, but they dissappeared shortly after stopping live brine).

tjd

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice. I just purchased the Java moss from a LFS and it is currently quarantined in a bucket. I found two Hydra on it and was hoping to eradicate the Hydra so as not to introduce it to the tank (where there were two there must be more).

I have not had any issues with Hydra in my other tanks (knock on wood) even with heavy feeding of BBS but have always been careful to disinfect everything going in including plants.

I am going to try the heat and increased salinity. The more I think about it the more inclined I am to also go with one of the more harsh disinfections just to be safe.

Thanks,
Tom

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
If that plant has not been in a tank already I would not bother. I would not use it at all. Hydra are almost impossible to get rid of once they are there. About the only hope is to keep their populations under control. THE pencil fish were mentioned before. Another good hydra eater that do well with dwarf cichlids is a sparkling gouramie.

Microman

5 Year Member
Hydra

I often have hydra in my Apisto fry grow out tanks due almost exclusively to
overfeeding BBS.
The method I use almost completely eradicates them within approx 2 hrs.
Small 6v battery with copper wire attatched to both electrodes,positive wire
put in one end of tank,negative wire put in at the opposite end.Leave for anything from 2-3 hrs depending on tank size.
This method has never had any adverse effects on any fish or fry whilst i have used it but it certainly kills the hydra,you can see them decrease in size
until they die and drop to the tank bottom.
This method sounds harsh but the very small electrical current and the copper
works wonders.
Mark.

fishgeek

dactycid , which is flubendazol, not sure if it is available in the us

most common treatment in nth euopean aquariums
unfortunately most of the links to it are therefore in german ad the autotranslator's dont work that well on technical nor aquatic terms

andrew

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….