• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How many fry are generally lost from each spawn?

Walshy

The name says it all. I am interested on the survival rate of a batch of appistogramma fry. On day one. I appeared to have about 50 new fry. Now the numbers seem to have significantly dropped. Not sure if it's because they are hiding and more spread or if I have lost a lot of fry. They are in a 25 liter extreamily well planted tank with both parents. Sponge Filter was cycled in my main tank for about a month before I even bought the tank. I am feeding the fry on micro worms and sera with 2x5 liter water changes a week. (rainwater)

Is there something I am doing wrong or are they just hiding better now they are a little wiser? Thanks for any input

ste12000

5 Year Member
It all depends on the pair.. I have pairs of Apistogramma that will raise up almost every offspring to 10-12 weeks when i then remove them, i currently have several pairs that are so eager to spawn again that they attack, kill or eat every single fry to make way for the next brood 1-2 weeks after the last.

They generally get better with experience..

Walshy

Hmmm. I think I know my issue. I should be changing 5 litres a day from my nitrate reading. I lent my tests to a friend so I Havnt bin able to check them. Nitrates at 40 ppm. Which I'm guessing is enough to kill off new Born fry? Also when performing water changes with new fry in the tank. Is a cold water change acceptable or will it shock the fry? As u can tell. New to this :) but I will persist.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomek B.

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….