• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

how many apisto's can I put in a 20 gallon long?

DustinB32

5 Year Member
Hi, I'm new to the world of apisto's but not new to the world of cichlids. Been keeping sa/ca cichlids for the past couple years and thought I would try these guys out. I just started a planted aquarium about a week ago. Anyway... I figured I would start out with apistogramma cacatuoides. How many could I get for a 20 gallon long. I was really considering 1 male to 3 females but from what I've read a 20g long doesnt seem big enough for the females to establish their own territories. Would i be better off with 1 male and 2 females or just try a single pair. I was also considering a pair of Apistogramma agassizii and a pair of
apistogramma cacatuoides. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Welcome DustinB32, I think you'll enjoy being an Apistogramma keeper. Have a look at this thread, it should answer most of your questions.

<http://www.forum.apistogramma.com/showthread.php?t=8531>

I'd also suggest having a look at Bob Wiltshire's (ApistoBob) Web site. It has really useful advice for habitat, water etc. and Bob's practical experience of keeping many dwarf cichlids (he is also a member).

<http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/index.php>

Final point I'd make would be that A. cacatuoides is fairly forgiving, but I would recommend leaving your planted tank to establish for at least 6 weeks before adding any Apistogrammas, this gives time for the plants to establish, the water to stabilise and a healthy biofilm develop.

cheers Darrel

DustinB32

5 Year Member
thanks, I figured that I didnt plan on getting the apistos until sometime in late april or early may for the purpose of letting the take become more established.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Apistogramma cacatuoides

Hi all,
Hi Dustin, I know they are easily obtainable, and easy to keep, but I love my cacatuoides tank. They have provided many hours of entertainment, and I don't think I'll ever be without them. They are also easy to sell/exchange at your LFS.

Yesterday I watched a small female, collect and spit Daphnia in with her fry and defend them against all comers for about half an hour. Eventually she chased a big juvenile (from another brood) across the tank, and when she came back the Daphnia had started to disperse, and she stopped protecting them and started eating them. She then got so absorbed with this that her fry started to disperse as well, before she eventually returned and had a desperate couple of minutes trying to re-accumulate them. Better than any soap opera on TV.

Cheers Darrel

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….