• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How do dwarf cichlids fare with active tank mates?

C

CKfish

Hello,

First, there is some fantastic information in this forum. I've greatly enjoyed the reading I've done here. I'm hoping to tap your experiences as I set up a 150 gallon tank.

I'm currently putting together a 150 gallon setup. Once finished, it will be heavily planted. The only definite inhabitants at this point will be my clown loach pack (currently five). Other fish I'm considering include Boseman's rainbows, ottocinclus (one enough algae is established), and dwarf cichlids. I really enjoy the behavior that cichlids have in general, but in a heavily planted tank most of them tend to be diggers.

I'll admit-- I know virtually nothing (yet) about apistos and rams, but they seem to be the way to go. With a 150 gallon tank there should be territory enough for a few of them. My water tends to run at 0 KH and 4 GH out of the tap, and I buffer that slightly with baking soda. pH in my existing tanks runs about 6.8, and the new tank will have a CO2 controller to regulate it in that range.

My biggest concern is with fish compatiibility. Clown loaches and rainbows are very active fish, particularly at feeding time. Will apistos or rams fare well in this kind of environment? Are there species that would do better suited than others?

Thanks very much for your thoughts!

CKfish

cootwarm

5 Year Member
I keep mine with cardinal tetras and harlequin rasboras. These are very active fish and don't bother the apistos at all. No problem with clown loaches (except for fry), I don't know rainbows.

Michael

C

CKfish

Thanks for your responses!

At this point, I'm not terribly worried about raising fry. I would like to get them to pair off to observe their behavior, and at some point might move them into a 20 gallon tank to let them breed. I'm mostly concerned that they'll get bullied or outcompeted for food.

In the past, I've had a couple Boseman's rainbows pick on Odessa barbs, but the same fish never bothered rosy barbs in the same tank for some reason. They've gotten along fine with my clown loaches and other fish.

Is there a hardy but colorful species that would be good for an experienced fish keeper but a dwarf cichlid novice? Would mikrogeophagus altispinosus be out of the question in this setup? Would I be better with an apistogramma species?

Thanks again for your responses!

CKfish

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….