1. Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

honglsoi sexing

Discussion in 'Identification and Morphology' started by Odile, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Mike Wise

Mike Wise Moderator Staff Member 5 Year Member

Looking at the video and the behavior of the fish, I would say you have a pair but the female isn't interested in breeding at the moment. Changes in food and tank conditions might encourage spawning.
  2. Odile

Odile New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thank you Mike. I never bred apistos and would love to do so. A week ago I added alder cones in the tank and the pH is now around 6. I feed the mostly frozen brine shrimps, and occasionally frozen blood worms. I also tried dried food but never saw them eat it. Are my water parameter good for breeding Should I try to vary the food?
    Shane Puthuparambil likes this.
  3. Mike Wise

Mike Wise Moderator Staff Member 5 Year Member

Your water values appear fine, although I would try to lower the pH to <6.5 if it were my tank. Maybe adding a more varied diet would help, but it seem ok to me. I always add live bbs to my fish's diet. I think now is the time for patience.
    Shane Puthuparambil likes this.
  4. Odile

Odile New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    My male died suddenly about 3 weeks ago, and here is a picture of my "female" a week and a half later ...

[​IMG]

^^
    ButtNekkid, Mbkemp and dw1305 like this.