• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hey hey hey

Akraziatic

5 Year Member
Hey everyone,

Been lurking around the forum for the past month learning as much as I can ahead of picking up my first apistos last week.

Started off with a young pair of cacatuoides.

Looking forward to learning more about the dwarfs.

Cheers,
Mitch

Akraziatic

5 Year Member
Welcome! Where are you? What type of cacs? Wild or double or triple reds?
Sorry Linus_Cello.

In Canberra, Australia.

They're Triple Reds with no certainty of generation. Australia is pretty challenging to find wild caught due to the strict bio security on importation. Hopefully one day but I'm sure I'd have dived deeper into some of the other species by that stage.

Linus_Cello

5 Year Member
Australia has been in the news a bit related to marine-life.

And I thought salt-creep was bad:
In May, members of a family living in a suburb of Adelaide, Australia, scrubbed the coral tank in their home and went to bed. A few hours later they awoke, struggling for air. The family was “quite unwell with breathing difficulties,” said Daniel Hamilton, a spokesman for the South Australian Country Fire Service. All of seven members of the household were hospitalized, the youngest child in the intensive care unit.

Within an hour, Hamilton said, emergency responders traced the incident to the scrubbed coral. The animal reacted to the cleaner as though it were a predator, spewing a chemical that spread through the house as an aerosol.

Officials on the scene quarantined the building. “This isn’t the sort of thing we’ve dealt with before,” Hamilton said. It took three hazmat removal groups wearing breathing apparatuses and suits to clean up the mess, Australian newspaper ABC reported. They neutralized the toxin with bleach and vacuumed up the particles.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...omepage/story&utm_term=.8a19870e6c80#comments

How do you survive in Australia? You have some of the most venomous creatures in the world. Sea fleas ain't inviting me to visit any time soon (though I guess I better sea the Great Barrier Reef before it's dead soon...):
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-winner:homepage/story&utm_term=.2d8259db08d1

Akraziatic

5 Year Member
Haha wow! That's crazy! Thanks for reminding me why freshwater tanks are safer, I mean better...

Don't worry Linus_Cello, us Aussie's are immune to all of the deadly animals thanks to Kangaroos being our main mode of transport...

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….