• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

hemichromis fasciatus

cornbread_5

5 Year Member
OK I was able to get my hands on six of these brutes and was growing them out in a 180 , I then was able to sex a male and a female and put them in a 40 breeder divided, the pretty much ignored each other then one day the male jumped the divider and when I came home from work I noticed it , nobody was hurt but I still put the male back on the other side and the next day I took the divider down there was a little flaring at first but they get along just fine but they are very skittish and dont seem to like the food I am giving them , I have a few questions , First how can I stop them from being so skittish I tried giant dainos as dither fish but of course they were killed, also how can I promote them to breeding and what should I feed these guys as they seem to be a pair because these usually kill all other of its kind in any other instances, i know for a fact that one is a male and the other is a female

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
What kind of decorations are in the tank? I find that giving fish a number of options for things to hid around helps calm them down a lot. At least most of the time!

cornbread_5

5 Year Member
I have a couple pieces of driftwood and some rocks and one small cave in the 40 breeder they pretty much should hide underneath the hang on back filiter

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Try floating some plastic plants (a large loose tangle of them) in the tank. This will block some of the light and give them some shelter at the top of the water, both of which might help a ton.

cornbread_5

5 Year Member
update wow Aquatic clarity I put in the live plants around 130 and I came back home and look in the tank around 6 and it amazing eggs have been laid

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Who did you get them from? I managed to bring in some elongatus this past year and have some frempongi coming in shortly but I haven't seen fasciatus offered for a while.

cornbread_5

5 Year Member
I got them from dan Ye jennings all of them elongatus , frempongi and fasciatus seem to be coming in Dan and wet spot have frempongi what size are you getting in of the frempongi

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
No shipping if you drive 1/2 way across the US and come pick them up. :) Dan Ye is a lot farther from you and Wet Spot eould have you traveling across the whole country!

I use USPS Express and don't mark it up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….