• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP! Medication information

D

dwnhllmtb

I recently noticed ICH on two of my fish in my planted aquarium tank. I was wondering if there is any medication out there that is safe to use with a planted tank. I've used Maracide with good results in the past, but I don't want to harm any of the plants in my tank. I'm also open to additional cures that have seen good success.

Randall

5 Year Member
ICH in a planted tank

Hi,

Aquarium Pharmacuticals--I think it's them--makes a product called Super Ich Cure that is effective and plant friendly. You can also try anything containing formaldehyde, like Aquarium Products' Formalin.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

aspen

5 Year Member
i used formlin 37% in my planted tank, and it went through major algae problems after using it. i would raise the temp to 86 deg, and let the ich run it's course. ich cannot reproduce above 84 deg. it will get worse for a few days, then totally disappear. i have treated baby rams among a bunch of other fish with heat only, and didn't loose any. the smallest was 3/8". if you ramp the temp up over a few days, the plants should fare fine.

rick

Neil

dwnhllmtb,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Is your screen name short for Down-hill mountain bike?
Although I have not specifically tried it, aspens idea sounds great. I am always inclined to find a methodology of treatment for sickness or disease that does require medication. If the plants in the tank handle the temp. change, sounds like it is worth a try.
Neil

Orchid

5 Year Member
I use plain garlic powder, not garlic salt. It works wonders and is safe for a planted tank. I first learned to do this for my reef tank 'cause most ich meds kill live coral. The great thing is it works for both the marine and fresh water ich sp. Even though I keep my planted discus tank at 83 degrees, I added some rams and they came down with ich. Most plant safe meds did hurt my plants or didn't do much for the ich. I put in about 1/2 to 3/4 of a teaspoon for 50 gallons and the ich went away! It also removed some viral lymph....thingies on some older rams that I was told would never go away after I had tried every med I could think of to rid them. Here is my thinking, if it is safe to use with live, very expensive corals, then it must be safe for plants. And it is.

Good luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….