• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help ID an external parasite, please!

Lutefisk

I have an A. borellii male with a case of some external parasite (photo below). There are small, worm-like things on his sides and fins. When I first noticed them, they were no bigger than a microworm, but now the biggest ones are much thicker than that. They are on the surface of the fish, rather than beneath the skin. I've never seen one move. There isn't any obvious irritation at either end, and there are no prongs at the end like the pics of anchor worms I've seen. The streaks in his tail might actually be fin damage--he was sold to me as part of a "trio", and has since been separated from the dominant male.

What are these things? If I can't identify them, what treatment would you recommend I start with?

Thanks!
Abcrop.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Probably flukes. Several products will kill them. Formalin will do the trick but is a known carcinogen, so I don't recommend it to inexperienced people. Many of the organophosphate insecticides will work, too. I suggest you research fluke treatments in a book or on line.

gerald

5 Year Member
They could still be anchorworms too ... not all kinds have the paired egg sacs. I didn't realize there were external skin flukes large enough to see without a scope. Either way, the treatment should be similar.

Lutefisk

I'm reading that praziquantel has supplanted formalin or organophosphates as the go-to treatment for flukes, and that it should be effective against anchor worms too. I'm in luck--both prazi and formalin are already in my cupboard, so I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the advice!

Here's a link to a web source I like to use for anyone with a similar problem who stumbles across this thread.

Lutefisk

Update: I've been dosing PraziPro per label directions, but some parasites are still visible on my borellii. The Danio margariatus he shares a tank with don't seem affected, though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….