• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP ~ Fighting in my cac. tank

traco

5 Year Member
I have 2 males and 2 females. The alpha male (who as always been the alpha - I found out from the person I bought these fish from) is chasing and fighting with the other male. He also chases the females especially when food is put down. I feed at opposite ends of the tank to help everyone get food.

Which would be the best male to keep with the two females. The alpha male who chases them all or the quieter male? They are all housed in a 20 gallon with plants, wood and pots to hide in. Would buying a 29 gallon tank help this?

I have a 65 gallon with 4 angels, 3 cories, 2 plecos and temp is 80. I also have a community tank with platies, cories, pleco, guppies and shrimp, temp is 78. Would either of these tanks be okay to put the male cac. into? Would he eat the shrimp (I'm thinking yes?)?

Thanks.

Barb

Apistt_ed

Hello Barb,

The lone male would be good in either of the tanks, but as you suspected, he might make the shrimp a snack. If the aggression isn't drastic and never gets beyond just chasing, then he'd be fine in the tank he is in already. if the violence gets beyond that, then it can be moved to one of the other tanks, poissibly the first of the two options. The alpha would always be the best bet for keeping with the two females. If you were going to remove him and leave the subdominant male, he would soon take the place of the dominant alpha and do the same thing. Most if not all apisto males would chase females until they are ready to spawn. A. cacatuoides, being harem spawners one male would spawn with all females in his territory so it is probably merely normal behavior. Isolating the male or changing the decor of the tank so new boundaries are made could help, if not just adding more hiding spaces such as tera cotta caves, coconut shells, etc. is also an option that can only help. Best of luck. john.

traco

5 Year Member
He's a orange flash but I want to keep him. Glad I have another tank I can put him in.

In with the angels, the temp should be lowered a bit? It is 80 right now, maybe down to 78?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….