• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from Washington state.

Jay

Hello everyone,

I have started to really enjoy the west African dwarf cichlids and have collected a few already. I'm hoping to learn from everyone here to ensure the best possible care for these little guys.

Jay

Hello chappy6107,

i currently have

Nanochromis consortus
Nanochromis minor
Nanochromis nudiceps
Nanochromis parilus
Nanochromis splendens
Nanochromis teugelsi
Nanochromis transvestitus

and a few Paros

Parosphromenus tweediei
Parosphromenus filamentosus
Parosphromenus allani
Parosphromenus Quindecim

Also an unidentified beautiful pair of Kribs

and 19 Ropefish.

I am sure I am missing a few but this is a good start to the list.

Cheers
Jay

gerald

5 Year Member
You have Good Taste! Do your N. teugelsi have the checkered tail pattern or black spotted pattern or both?
The species description shows photos of both forms. The ones I had years ago (from E.Bodrock) had the spots.

Jay

I found this online that has some pretty good pictures http://cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=211551 . I was able to get just a few shots this morning but will do some more when i do water changes later. I dont see any checkered patter or black spots though.

IMG_1598.JPG
IMG_1599.JPG
IMG_1600.JPG
IMG_1601.JPG

gerald

5 Year Member
I see the "checkered" pattern - broken bars might be a better description - similar to tail patterns in splendens and some parilus. Some of ACC's teugelsi developed black spots in the dorsal as they got older - see the pics posted Sep 15, 2011, a year after his earlier posts without spots. The ones I had developed spots at a younger age (both sexes). Also, they should develop more gold on the cheeks and yellow-orange to pink-orange in the tail if they are N. teugelsi, regardless of whether they have black spots or broken-bar tail pattern. Juveniles of parilus, teugelsi, splendens, nudiceps all look pretty similar to me. (Not sure if i've ever seen real nudiceps).

gerald

5 Year Member
That guy seems to have all the right N. splendens characteristics i'm aware of: elongate head-body shape, black an yellow stripes in upper half of caudal fin, dark red bars in lower half of caudal fin and anal fin, and black pelvic fins.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….