1. Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Harem breeders?

Discussion in 'Beginners Corner' started by mrjbacon, Sep 5, 2017.

1. mrjbacon

mrjbacon New Member

Can anyone post a quick list of the species they know are harem breeders? I'd really appreciate it!

I've read-up on a lot of the species and run a search here, but my head is spinning trying to filter out all the other information I have to sift through to get my answer lol
  2. Apsnake

Apsnake Member

It's only ap.panduro and ap.njisenni that pair bond as far as I know. All other apistogramma will be harem breeders but in different numbers. Some species like ap.trifasciata and ap.agassizi ideally need 1/4 ratio at least if you have room 1/7 works well I hear, but these species will not do well in pairs. Ap.Borelli are in my opinion have the most tolerant males in the way that they don't attack the females as much when they don't want to breed. ive kept agassizi a few times and they are brutal towards the poor females. Cacatoides macmasteri hongsloi etc are middle ground. Some could Be kept in pairs and some not so much it's all to do with tank size and how much cover They have. This is not scientifically proven I'm just saying from what I gather these species are easier to keep as pairs but will always prefer having 3-4 females to choose from. To be honest all of this only applies if you want to breed the fish if not wouldn't even bother with females get a single male and let him boss your tank off! Theoretically you could keep any fish In a pair in a big enough tank.
  3. Apsnake

Apsnake Member

I noticed I didn't put the real answer. All apistos are harem breeders in the wild. In a tank it's different. if your asking because you want a harem just get any apisto except from njisseni or panduro and keep them 1/3 or more females if your asking because you want a pair and are trying to avoid harem fish borelli would be my advice unless you can get a guaranteed pair of njisseni. Can't comment on panduro as I have never owned them.
  4. Mike Wise

Mike Wise Moderator Staff Member 5 Year Member

I don't think this is quite accurate. Very few studies of apisto breeding in the wild have actually been done. I can think of 1 species (A. steindachneri) where it was observed that the fish formed a strong breeding pair. It was believed that this behavior was due to a high number of fry predators in the biotope. A. steindachneri is what I call a 'casually polygamous' species in captivity. Without fry predators or other male interlopers with which to contend, males have less to do and go out looking to 'spread their genes'. This is true for most members of the regani-lineage (regan-, alacrina-, and macmasteri-groups) as well as the steindachneri-group. More monogamous species are found in the nijsseni- and iniridae-groups, but this varies with the species. Highly polygamous species include - but not all - those in the trifasciata-lineage: trifasciata-, cacatuoides-, bitaeniata-, and agassizii-groups. Many others are what I call 'casually monogamous', being preferentially polygamous but monogamous if need be.
    dw1305 and ButtNekkid like this.
  5. mrjbacon

mrjbacon New Member

Awesome info, thanks for posting. The info about pair-bonding with A.panduro and A.nijsseni helps as well, since I'm not 100% sure I want a harem yet. I'm weighing the pros and cons, as well as trying to decide if I want a species-specific tank, community tank, or a simpler tank with an apisto pair and dithers.

If anyone has anything to add feel free!