• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fungus Issues

laura1402

Hi All,

This is my first post here so Hi im Laura.

This is my first tropical fish tank. I have 1 male Cockatoo and 2 females. I have had fry once but they ate them all! So they must be happy enough.

In the tank i also have some Danios, Neon Tetras, Otocinclus and Japonica Shrimp. Unfortunately one of the Neon seems to have a fungus (they are very new) but i am worried about how to treat this as i know the Cockatoos are sensitve to treatments, especially antifungal. As the neons are already in the tank i should treat the whole tank incase anyone else has caught it. But im very nervous. I have read somewhere that to treat sensitive fish its better to half the doseage but double the time given? But i just dont know and would really appreciate some advice. The anti fungal medicine i have is Interpet No.8.

Many Thanks for your help in advance.

Laura

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hello Laura,

Firstly do not worry about the first batch of eggs being eaten, that is in general the norm most of the time. Now it is not nice having sick fish. Just a reminder for next time make sure you quarantine any new fish you buy before introducing them to your main tank. Shrimp are also sensative to treatment and also most treatments state for neons to use half the dosage. The fungus is a cycle and in my view you need to treat the whole tank. I would use 1/2 the dosage as recomended and then monitor the tank. You might have some losses, but it is better than the whole tank being lost. good luck cheers jk :cool:

laura1402

Hi JK,
I actually had babies which they ate, they lasted about a week but slowly dwindled!!! Think they might be about to produce some more as they are getting very flirty again!!!
I have decided to try and treat with Melafix as i read on here that someone else had used it with Cockatoos so i presume it to be safe and the label says safe even on the most delicate fish.
I want to quarantine them always but unfortunately i do not have the room for another tank which is my problem. I am thinking i will try and find the money and room to avoid situations like this again, but thats easier said than done!!!
Keep your fingers crossed for me.:redface:

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hi Laura,

Good luck and I will keep my fingers crossed. A quarantine tank is not very expensive, you just need a heater and a filter powered by air. You can use anything from a bucket or plastic tub. Get the stuff second hand and wash out properly and voila. for 7 days and then check the fish and put in main tank. Anyway like I said good luck and keep us posted. cheers jk :cool:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AussieApisto

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(