• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fun to watch (fry stealing)

Fatts

5 Year Member
I put a trio of A elizas in a 20 Long to breed them (broken into 2 distinct territories by flower pots). Well the first clutch became free swimming on Wed and the second today. As soon as the second clutch came outta the cave the fun started.

The females swim through the cloud of fry like they are counting them, or look for one in particular, then they swim off into the other territory. Once they get there they swim through the cloud of fry and grab one in their mouth, swim back to their own cloud and spit it out.

I watched this for about 45 min and they swapped one fry at a time (always alternating which female steals one) about 10 times. Its almost like they are competing for one individual fry. I wish there was a way to tell if it was always the same one getting stolen each time

nightowl1350

5 Year Member
LOL...sure wish I could see that! Heck I can't even get 1 parent raising pair
:( never mind ones who swap kids (or only 1 kid)

Sounds like they are doing great for you!

Fatts

5 Year Member
I'll tell you what, spawning them was cake compared to getting the parents to raise the fry. They were definatly the most "challenging" fish I have kept to date.

They were spawning on a weekly basis, and they were eating eggs on a weekly basis too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….