• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

fluval peat granules

pzo316

5 Year Member
can anyone help i have aquired some peat granules and dont kno how much to put in filter and where. i hav a juewl 180 litre tank with carbon filter removed as i hav bn using black water extract to try and recreate blackwater conditions already

pzo316

5 Year Member
jos the box filter that came with tank jus a normal jiwel one 2 fine blue sponges then blue coarse yhen green nitrate one and finaly the white weekly change one on top there is a gap between last fine and coarse of about an inch

Randall

5 Year Member
Peat granules

Hello PZ,

You could put the peat granules in a fine mesh nylon bag (retailers sell these) and place the bag in the available space in your filter, or given the size of your tank, you could also fill the bag and suspend it inside the tank in front of the filter's outflow. A better means of softening your water, however, is to condition water with peat moss in a separate container and use the conditioned water to do your water changes. The later method will soften your tank water gradually, while the former will do so very quickly and may stress your fish. Whichever method you use, using peat moss to soften water is preferable to using black water extracts.

Also, if you conduct a forum search using the key words "peat" and "peat moss," much information will come up.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Apistt_ed

Hello,

I have used the stuff for a while now with R/O water and have found it to do wonders! The best way of finding out how much you need is to merely experiment. I have used fine cheese cloths and fine netting and just placed it above the filters outflows or above the airator and have gotten the same results. In my 20gallon long pair tanks, I will use about 1/3 of the whole bag and within 2 days it lowers my ph from 7.0 down to 5.5. If possible, you should condition some water on the side for water changes. Doing regular water changes twice a week, the bag should last almost 6weeks in the tank before you should change it. best of luck.
john

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….