• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

fish scratching again on decorations

clusty

Hey,

I had a small stint of ich 2 weeks age which I treated with API Ich super cure for 6 day( half dose every 24h instead of full dose every 48). Given that my aquarium is at 83F, I can imagine 2-3 full life cycles of ich passed while medicated. Yesterday ,I re-added the charcoal filter to remove the medicine.
To my surprise is today I saw one apistogramma scratching again, no dots just yet.

Is it just irritated or I missed my treatment?
To reprhase: I restart the scorched earth(water), or I wait and see if other fish restart scratching, dots reappear?
Think it is fine using full strength medication or I can expect casualties from my ramirezi/apistogrammas?

ChuckinMA

I would be inclined to wait before medicating again since flashing against rocks and decorations isn't a 100% indicator. Regarding your dosing, were there other fish in the tank that prompted the reduced medication dosing (e.g. clown loaches)? I'm not aware of any higher sensitivty among apistos. I'm all for not using any more medication than is necessary, especially in a situation you described as a "small" outbreak, but would wonder if the water column ever reached a sufficient level of toxicity for the ick parasite to achieve full iradication.

clusty

I have an assortment of kuhli loaches plecos and neon tetras. The local fish guy told me to apply half doses every day, rather than full doses every 48h stating it would be easier on the fish.

I redid 2 full dose treatments 48h apart. So far only my german blue ramirezi lost it's colours. Everybody else seems happy enough. I will give them a break after this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….