• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

filtration for planted tank

Neil Groves

So I am nearly ready to add water to my 55g tank and go buy a filter, I have just been reading that heavily planted tanks don't need or benefit from high water currents, I was going to set this up with a power filter but after reading that, I think maybe the flow will be too much? and I should go with an aquaclear bio-wheel setup which would also give me surface movement?

Also I need to be careful as I am interested in letting my Apisto's breed and I don't want them to get sucked up by any filtration.

thoughts please?

Neil.

gerald

5 Year Member
That depends more on the fish load and feeding rate than the tank size. I have one sponge filter (about 4 inch diam x 5-6 inch tall) in a planted 55 gal with about 40 to 50 tetras (congo, rummynose, emperor), rasboras, small barbs, otocinclus.

Neil Groves

Is that your only filter? Or do you also have a canister filter or power filter? I don't intend having more than 20 small fish, tetra, and dwarf cichlids mainly.

Neil

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Have a look at <"Swiss Tropicals">. This is the <"Mattenfilter"> page. I like the look of the jet-lifter on these filter. Stephan Tanner ("Swiss Tropicals" owner) is <"a scientist"> as well as fish breeder etc.

I've recently bought some Hailea piston pumps (to run a lot of small air filters for algal culture) and they are excellent, but a bit noisy.

It doesn't have to be an air pump driven filter. I use the 12" x 4" x 4" PPI20 drilled foam blocks they sell for Koi ponds etc with a Maxi-jet Power-head. You can see one of these at the back right in this photo.
lid_up_zpsf2edd702-jpg-16073-jpg.79241

cheers Darrel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sponge & Matten filters have an amazingly large amount of biological filter volume compared to their size. For smaller, less messy, fish they are an ideal biological filter. Bigger and messy fish need some kind of mechanical filtration, too. Not a problem with apistos.

gerald

5 Year Member
Is that your only filter? Or do you also have a canister filter or power filter? I don't intend having more than 20 small fish, tetra, and dwarf cichlids mainly. Neil

That's all. I think the plants are really doing most of the waste-processing work. I harvest and discard floating plants frequently (Ricciocarpus and Limnobium). I had a hang-on filter running too, but the impeller broke about a year ago. It's still on the tank, just to fill the gap cut in the canopy. Fish and plants are doing fine with just the air-driven sponge filter. This tank has been running almost 20 yrs.

Karin

5 Year Member
That's all. I think the plants are really doing most of the waste-processing work. I harvest and discard floating plants frequently (Ricciocarpus and Limnobium). I had a hang-on filter running too, but the impeller broke about a year ago. It's still on the tank, just to fill the gap cut in the canopy. Fish and plants are doing fine with just the air-driven sponge filter. This tank has been running almost 20 yrs.
I wish to see a pic!

MickeM

5 Year Member
Me and a friend of mine have been breeding several Apistos with no pumps/motor-filters at all.., but then often with some plants added..
As gerald says.. As long as you feed with proper food (frozen brine shrimp in my case) and feed in proper amounts ..and keep an eye/ control of the water-quality.. it will normaly work just fine..
In my tanks I normaly use some kind of sand, but I have gotten fry from Apistos in tanks with only floating plants+ roots.. and often with limited amounts of sand too.. but in such set-ups I recommend frequent water changes..
Sometimes breeding occurred by accident so to speak.... in quarantine tanks..

Here is a link to show how it may look..
http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/t...basement-with-planted-tanks.17497/#post-92773

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….