• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Female hongsloi?

willzs

5 Year Member
Do people think this is a female or male hongsloi?
IMG_3070.JPG
IMG_3067.JPG

willzs

5 Year Member
Cheers for replying Mike. I'll have to wait and see then, definitely got a male as well though.

willzs

5 Year Member
So I still wasn't convinced that she was a she and managed to catch her easily so have replaced with this one. I'm pretty certain this time.
IMG_3081.JPG
IMG_3082.JPG

MickeM

5 Year Member
I`m afraid you have replaced it with a macmasteri "female"..!!!
I would have a go with the 1st one!!!(Most probably a female I`d say/guess..!!).. and give them a month or two to adapt to the situation..
(unless aggression is increased too much.., I couldn`t see any broken fins on the 1st one though..)

MickeM

5 Year Member
One more thing..

Males will show dominance to all other/new fishes if possible. New females in a territory which are not ready to spawn will also be chased away.. until they show him the correct signals to reproduce!! (Large females may beat up a "weak" male!!):confused::eek:;)
After the 1st spawn a female is most often "approved" by the male, but will have to show submission until next spawn..(Displaying her belly+ not raising her dorsalfin , and act like she is not challenging him !!)

In your pic with the two hongsloi , the young male looks like he is quite relaxed toward the other one (female?)..!!

Last edited:

MickeM

5 Year Member
.. and also.. my experience/from what I know..

..hongsloi males often have some red color on/by "the root" of the caudalfin, behind the caudal-spot... even when beeing young !!!

willzs

5 Year Member
Cheers for all the information Mike. It's amazing how much you know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MickeM

5 Year Member
Many thanks willzs..
..it is the result of 30-35 years of practice+failure.. and still learning!!!:) ( Or as a friend of mine constantly reminds me..,
- "Make sure you don`t fail with the "wrong"/rare species.. Cause if we/you do., we will soon have very few left...!!" :(;) )

.. nevertheless..,some factors may also alter what we normally think we know about about behaviours+ else !!

How do the Stiphodon atropurpureus(?) act/interact with your Apistos??? .. is it aggressive../"the Boss" of the tank??
If so, I guess this may stop the hongsloi from spawning or mess up your possible plan for any/many future Apisto-fry !!??

willzs

5 Year Member
They both get chased by my Netz male, he's definitely the boss of the tank. Still waiting for them to breed though.

MickeM

5 Year Member
OK..
It might be a difficult task for a young hongsloi male to manage/maintain a territory of his own then.., on the other hand it probably will give the two hongsloi some time with the same conditions.. later when the hongsloi male gets the chance, he will become the dominant one!!

For the hongsloi to spawn you may have to remove the dominant Netz male( if possible ) !!??
.. and maybe also add some "tight-entranced" caves .. like sliced/cracked clean coconut-shells..( females will often dig out a wall/pile of sand in front of the entrance after spawning anyway!!)

More info here..
http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/threads/breeding.19675/#post-96659

willzs

5 Year Member
The idea is to get the Netz to breed rather than the Hongsloi although I might just swap the male for a male Macmasteri. The Netz seemed to need the competition to encourage breeding.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….