• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Etymology of "German Blue Ram"

JosVermeulen

I've been wondering for a while where the name German Blue Ram came from. I've always been told that it came from a time where the "true" GBRs were bred by German breeders and this meant that they were of higher quality (so to say). In an era were lots of them are mass bred in farms, they don't seem worthy of that name anymore.

Can any of you guys give me insight into this?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
You're right. The original German Blue Rams were produced by dedicated German breeders back in the 70s & early 80s. These breeders carefully chose breeding stock and culled inferior specimens. The original GBR was stockier in build and had brighter colors and more black than wild forms. They were in such high demand that breeders elsewhere bought breeding stock and started selling every fish they could produce regardless of its quality. What we see now is a poor imitation of the original GBR. It's another strain that was lost to the hobby IMHO just like the Wickleri strain of A. steindachneri and the original Opal strain of A. borellii.

JosVermeulen

Do you happen to have a picture of the original GBR? Or are those pictures also lost?

Another question, did these specimen have female features in male specimen (blue sheen in black spot) and the other way around, as happens a lot in specimens currently sold?

Last edited:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Anyone who has the original German 1st edition of Linke & Staeck's Amerikanische Cichliden I - Kleine Buntbarsche can see the original GBR on the cover. An even better photo was part of Tetra's fish calendar, for 1984 if I recall correctly. I don't recall any sex reversals in them.

JosVermeulen

Anyone who has the original German 1st edition of Linke & Staeck's Amerikanische Cichliden I - Kleine Buntbarsche can see the original GBR on the cover. An even better photo was part of Tetra's fish calendar, for 1984 if I recall correctly. I don't recall any sex reversals in them.

Is this the image you are talking about

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Jos, yes the bottm photo is the one I referenced, not the top photo. Unfortunately the photos cannot be used here as they have a copyright by Tetra Verlag. I had to delete them, sorry.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The original GBR had a deeper body and brighter colors and deeper blacks. Other than body depth, the Rams pictured on Seriously Fish are quite similar in coloration. They are exceptional looking fish compared to most GBRs we see now.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….