• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

creating a 'breeding colony'

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Well I'm not sure what to make of my Inca tank. I originally started out with 3 pr of wild caught Incas in a 38 gallon tank. Now it seems that I actually have at least 4 males and the remaining 2 may very well be males also! The 4 defininate males have more dark on their ventral fins than the 2 undetermined ones. Do female Incas have black on their ventral fins like most species of apistos?

Anyhow, so far they seem to have the temperment to exist in a colony situation. They have reached mature size and there is no aggression at all. But this could be because I may not have any females. I'm hoping the the 2 undetermined ones turn out to be female but I have my doubts. The 4 males all have fully developed fins and bright vivid colors. One does seem to be dominant, but there is no fighting because the other males keep their dorsal fins down when confronted. However, when the dominant male isn't around, they feel free to show off their own magnificant fins and colors.

Also, I haven't tried to condition them yet to spawn. They are in less than ideal water (pH7.4;GH8;KH5) and I've only been feeding them flake food. As soon as I find some good peat moss I'll fix their water up for them and feed them better food. So far I haven't been able to find any with the word "pure" on the package. I've still got a couple places to check. I haven't checked Home Depot yet, I heard they carry "pure" peat moss.

At that point, I'll also begin feeding them CBW and occasionally white worms.

I really hope the Inca work out in a colony, because it would be a tank with lots of charactor and both males and females are very attractive

Michael

Zapisto

5 Year Member
hi
i have a 33g for 3 years now with a nice piece of wood , heavaly planted.

with

• A colony of A. staecki (dont ask me how many i dont know , but would say (1 big male dominant , 3 or 4 females , a bunch of sub-adult , and a large bunch of juvi)
  • 1 ancistrus spp.
  • 1 Siamensis (the true one)

the first group was 3F1 + 1 wild staecki
always see a male dominant (only one , all the other male are dominate)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timothygaw

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….