• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cave Suggestion

central tanks

So i have some Apistogramma cacatuoides and dont like the look of pots and coconuts in my planted tank. I have read that PVC pipe buried can work obviously at a slight angle so its mostly flat. I was told 1inch pvcp would be good, that seams kinda small for a female to spawn in and fit in does it not?

boofeng

So i have some Apistogramma cacatuoides and dont like the look of pots and coconuts in my planted tank. I have read that PVC pipe buried can work obviously at a slight angle so its mostly flat. I was told 1inch pvcp would be good, that seams kinda small for a female to spawn in and fit in does it not?
From what I've read around here, the smaller the entrance, the better they like it. Locally, a hemispherical pottery cave with an entrance placed somewhat above the substrate is popular. (Some say the higher entrance makes it harder for other bottom dwellers e.g. corydoras to find their way in.) The entrance is just big enough for a finger to enter (probably smaller than the internal diameter of 1" PVC), and the fish love it. They also try to reduce the entrance size with substrate and a good sign the cave is in use is if the fish builds a mound of substrate in front of the entrance.

central tanks

Yes however the pottery caves open up on the inside right? While a pvc pipe is the same 1 inch throughout. I guess I'll just have wait and see. If they don't like it I'll just toss in larger pvc pipes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….